Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping  (Read 9948 times)

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:45:04 am »
As an FYI:

Ramona and I have just completed writing The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping.  This is for a major publisher, and will be available in all the major bookstores and online retailers.

Although this is a mass market beginning beekeeping book, it is written from a treatment free approach.  Small cell, microbes, foundationless, etc are all discussed with the new (and experienced) beekeeper in mind.

deknow
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:47:14 pm by beemaster »

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:29:09 pm »
Very cool.  Will you have a companion website?  Have you been published before?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:39:38 pm »
Gratz on getting published, I can't wait to pick up the book and read it.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

bigbearomaha

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:09:30 pm »
Well Deknow, I like many others, find the title kinda rude.  I know you have no choice in the matter as it is for an existing series.   ( I dunno why "Dummies is any better,  I guess I read "Dummies" and I hear Fred Sanford calling someone out "Hey you big dummy."  makes it funnier I think.)

It is kind of exciting to see yet another member of the forums I visit find themselves published.  Makes you feel like your rubbing shoulders with people who actually know what they're doing and hopefully, it will rub off on you, maybe, a little bit.  heh heh

I look forward to checking the book out at a library in the future  (I almost never buy a book outright till  I have 'test driven it" in the library.)

Good work.

Big Bear

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 07:03:53 pm »
Congratulations Dean and Ramona! :)

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 07:43:09 pm »
yes, there will be a companion website with videos, a forum, articles, news, etc.  I made sure of that my registering thecompleteidiotsguidetobeekeeping.com myself.

it will likely be a bit like the golden rule website (mostly text based, heavy on content, with links to the more bandwidth intensive media), but organized specifically around the book.  More coming soon on this.

...and no, neither of us has been published before.  we were contacted by an agent that was looking for someone to write the book for penguin, and thought that the agenda for the northeast treatment free beekeeping conference read like a table of contents....we weren't trying to write a book, they found us :) :)

soon we will have dates for the 2010 conference...but we're doing a presentation tomorrow, and have not started to prepare!

deknow

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 08:59:58 pm »
Heck, I'm an "Idiot" & I'm buying the book  :-D

Congrats Ramona & Dean

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 01:45:37 pm »
Deknow:

Congratulations and all, but no [product spamming, advanced orders (ugh) and stuff here. You know the rules. I'll be changing the info on this page to people interested to PM you.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 05:07:53 pm »
That's great news - good stuff deknow!

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 05:37:12 pm »
Congratulations! For the record, I don't find the title offensive (Trig for dummies saved me this year because of the algebra refreshers I needed pretty badly).
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 04:20:17 am »
I got mine the other day.  I really didn't think anyone could simplify things that much and not get it totally wrong.  But you did.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 05:33:22 am »
Great to see you representing Dean & Ramona & now in hardcopy walking the walk as always w/ the talk. Doing it treatment free over here & w/ local rescued feral stock. Bought on Amazon in advance & was delivered 1st week of May. An inspirational & enlightening read. Keep up the fantastic work!

Cheers, David
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline ldygardener

• New Bee
    • Logs End Living
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 10:54:26 pm »
I saw this book recommended by the Backwards Beekeepers and ordered my copy yesterday.  I've never used any sort of chemicals in my gardening adventures as I believe in letting Mom Nature take care of hers and she has done a find job of it on my property!  I'm really looking forward to reading this as I'm currently devouring all the reading material I can find on this subject in preparation for my first hive next spring!

anything