Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: E-Z Nuc for swarm trap?  (Read 4754 times)

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
E-Z Nuc for swarm trap?
« on: March 03, 2011, 10:24:24 am »
Has anyone used E-Z Nucs for a swarm trap?  Thinking of running a swarm trap line like in the other thread, but would hate to lose my nice new wooden ware.  I could camo paint them.  My search turned up discussions of nucs in general, but not about the E-Zs.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: E-Z Nuc for swarm trap?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:36:52 am »
If you are talking about the white corplast (corrugated plastic)nucs be aware that there are translucent so the sun shines into them a bit. I use them all the time for making splits but I don't know how good they would be for swarm traps. Another problem is when trying to keep bees in them they tend to over heat in the summer here and need to be kept in the shade.

Bud makes his out of black corplast. I'd imagine that would limit the light from the sun.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:42:18 am »
It's a second reason I was thinking of camo painting them - I figured it would cut down on the light penetration.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:28:17 am »
It's a second reason I was thinking of camo painting them - I figured it would cut down on the light penetration.

JC

Paint doesn't stick that well to coroplast and peels off easily with modest use.   That is why I only use ot for the bottoms and not the tops for my $2 swarm traps.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/downloads/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:36:41 pm »
Hey Robo, clicked on your link and just got blank screen.  Googled your web site and the same thing happened.  Probably my computer, I probably need to disable something...

JC

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 12:48:32 pm »
Probably my computer, I probably need to disable something...

JC

Maybe not.  Server seems to be real slow for some reason.   Try giving it a few minutes to load or try later when things are back to normal.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 05:21:30 pm »
So, do you just use Coroplast instead of plywood?  What do you put it together with?

JC

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:49:35 pm »
3/8" ply for the sides,  1/4" Luan for the top and coroplast for the bottom.

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 07:20:39 pm »
Thanks

JC

anything