Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: EMF Protection  (Read 12140 times)

Offline Ernest T. Bass

• House Bee
    • Home 'n Stead Blog
EMF Protection
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:26:43 am »
Okay, I know there's some pretty crazy people here.. (I mean that in a good way!) And I've got some concerns about EMF exposure.. From our computers that we reference frequently, and also from our shop. Power tools are huge emitters, and we've been spending more and more time with them.. I'm getting into router work, and out of curiosity I tested the levels around it since you lean your head pretty close to the thing when doing detail work. At head distance I was measuring nearly 100 mG! Frequent exposure to that is concerning me... (This isn't the wacky stuff--there's plenty of evidence that EMF exposure like that isn't a good thing.)

My question is, does anyone have any experience with the plug-in devices, such as the EarthCalm EMF protectors? Supposedly, they neutralize harmful radiation through your whole house, office, etc. Do any of you smart people see reasons why these things would or wouldn't work?

Thanks,
Andrew
"One in the same, Bass is the name!"

Have a minute to burn? Perhaps you'd like to check out some of the movies that my siblings and I like to make...

Lund Family Productions

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: EMF Protection
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:33:24 am »
Never heard of it. Right off the bat I would say "BOGUS".

The device you are using creates the electromagnetic fields as they run. If these fields were not created the devise would not work. You would hava to have something between you and the router to shield you from the EMFs put out by the router. Something plugged into some outlet somewhere will not keep the motor of the router (which has to have the electromagnets inside it to work) from creating the EMFs. If it did, the router wouldn't work.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Ernest T. Bass

• House Bee
    • Home 'n Stead Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 12:24:03 pm »
That's kinda what I thought as well.. However, I've read of quite a few people who said it helped them (not just from the site), and no-one who actually tried it and scientifically debunked it. I don't fully understand how it's supposed to work; maybe it isn't intended for my type of situation. Other than a lead shield, is there any other way to protect oneself from high EMF levels?

Have a minute to burn? Perhaps you'd like to check out some of the movies that my siblings and I like to make...

Lund Family Productions

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:48:09 pm »
What effects do high EMF levels reportedly have on people? Maybe that's what's wrong with me. :-D

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 04:34:25 pm »
I really hate to say it, but IF EMF is in fact harmful; then the tin/aluminum foil hat crowd has been onto something for some time. Not to diminish to potential validity of the position, but said hat would also have to be grounded; preferably to an isolated groundplate or rod.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 05:27:01 pm »
WARNING: Side affects may include human lightening rod syndrome.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 12:03:35 am »
well I suppose there is that...

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 11:05:33 pm »
 This may link into a theory I am working on.
  I am convinced that there are far more stupid people now than when I was young. At first I blamed it on the population growth, more people equals more dummies, but then I realized that all the stupid ones would have to have been born around here and that didn't make sense.
  Then I started looking at environmental causes and found nothing clearly related in the food chain, water, or air quality. So I started looking at biological posibilities, and began to suspect a type of virus. A slow moving virus possibly transmitted by casual contact during a very limited period of comunicability. One that attacked brain cells at random.  But so far nothing.
  This may be the answer. In the last few decades we have seen a huge growth in personal electronics, specificaly communication devices. These devices all are emitting a steady field of RF and EMF around them. MAYBE this is destroying our brains. In particular the brains of the young who have longer periods of exposure.
   Thank you all my Nobel is now assured.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 11:10:46 pm »
I think it's genetics. I would recommend "Idiocracy" as my supporting argument - and it's a funny movie.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 11:24:44 pm »
there are some good sites for tin foil protection.  you can make a beanie, vest, do your whole house/office.....

i posted one a bit back.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Pwrbait

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:24:30 pm »
Little background....I was an engineer in the military for close to 20yrs, and an electrician/mechanic before that, so I have a bit of experience here.  Yes, EMF is a real health concern, but No, it is not a concern from normal everyday household/business environments.  Anytime current is sent through a wire, AC (what you plug in) or DC (battery power), it creates a magnetic field around that particular wire.  The more/larger the wire coupled with high currents equals bigger EMFs.  Power tools don't give off much of an EMF.  The power going into them induces a motor with brushes which knock down the field to next to nothing.  Computers put out a surprisingly small amount of EMF.  Everything has to be shielded, otherwise the fields would wipe out the hard drives and ruin other delicate parts.  You get more harm from fluorescent lights than from your computers (fluorescents are a different topic). 

Where EMF becomes a health problem is housing units built under high voltage transmission wires.  The huge x-country lines put out so much EMF, it's possible to park under them and get a reading on a meter out of the air.  A guy was actually arrested a number of years ago for winding a bunch of welding cable around a big piece of copper and putting it under some transmission lines.  He used the power generated to run his chicken coup.  He was essentially stealing power.

There are a number of studies linking cancer and birth defects to living under these transmission lines.  But in normal everday activities, EMF isn't a concern. 

Hope I cleared some stuff up.
Chris

Offline Ernest T. Bass

• House Bee
    • Home 'n Stead Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 12:07:46 am »
Thanks for the info. Most places that I've read say that regular exposure to anything over 1mG can be damaging to your health, though. You have to be about 3.5' away from a regular computer monitor to get bellow that. LCD monitors aren't so bad, but any electric motor sends the needle off the chart.. ?

I'm sure nothing is worse than living under high power lines, but it seems like the stuff we're being constantly exposed to every day can't be too good for you either...

Lund Family Productions

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 07:00:36 am »
Aren't those also the fields that spirits and ghosts are supposed to put off?
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline Pwrbait

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 02:11:05 pm »
Yes, it is what they use, but when you see them using them on Ghost Hunters, it's usually being used wrong.

The Electromagnetic Field (EMF) meter was originally designed to locate man-made sources of electric and magnetic radiation and to offer a reading of the relative strength and direction of the EM field. Direction takes a lot of practice to learn.  Natural, as opposed to man-made, EM fields rarely fluctuate and require a Geomagnetometer (really really expensive piece) to measure them properly.

Most meters on the market are hand-held and you need to be standing still. Even moving around can affect the readout slightly and unless you know this you may be incorrectly interpreting your data. In an ideal world you would purchase a tri-axial EMF meter (3-axes) as opposed to the 1-axis variety that flood the market.  The single axis is great for detecting sources, but again, you need to know your in the right area and be still.  The 3 axis can be set up on a tripod and the data recorded. 

So when you see the needle spike on Ghost Hunters, it's invaribly a natural source.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 02:13:07 pm »
I failed to mention a Faraday cage. more precisely a grounded tinfoil tent; but any EMF inside the cage is active- inside the cage.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 01:35:48 am »
I have experience with EMF.. I work on cell towers and we are all require to have EMF training and alert meters on us when ever we work on them.. or rooftops where antennas are emitting. The best meters I have found are the Nardaler XT or the RadMan XT. Both monitor EMF between the 30 kHz and 40GHz ranges.  Unless you are using industrial equipment for prolonged periods or working in front of an emitting antenna or dish you are well within recognized safe exposure limits.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Meadlover

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2009, 11:44:42 pm »
I think it's genetics. I would recommend "Idiocracy" as my supporting argument - and it's a funny movie.
Idiocracy is a great movie, one of my favourites.
At first I thought it was a silly overexagerated comedy, but after 1/2 hour or so it's more like a glimpse into the future of the world if we continue along our current path.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 05:44:22 am »
Idiocracy is a great movie, one of my favourites.
At first I thought it was a silly overexagerated comedy, but after 1/2 hour or so it's more like a glimpse into the future of the world if we continue along our current path.
I have a copy of my very own, and I still can't decide if it is a comedy or horror.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 09:24:52 am »
Thanks for posting that earthcalm site...I was actually laughing out loud its funny!!!

http://earthcalm.com/pages/main.php?pg=qa-how_it_works

Sorry...I can't help it... "Examples of some of the geometric shapes used in EarthCalm circuits are the sphere, the torus, and the spiral. The sphere reflects the spherical shape of the earth, the torus reflects the shape of the earth's EMF field, and the spiral reflects the path of the earth through space." HA HA HA!!

Now THAT'S scientific!
Rick