Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm trap advice  (Read 4823 times)

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
swarm trap advice
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:24:01 pm »
I plan on building some medium nucs to use as swarm traps.  I use a single hole in the front of mine.  My question is:  do you think I should have a screen bottom board?  Would this better help to attract?  The SBB saves me time and wood.  I plan on including 3 new foundation frames and 2 with used comb in each nuc and a Mann Lake swarm lurer.   Thoughts.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: swarm trap advice
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:12:57 pm »
I plan on building some medium nucs to use as swarm traps.  I use a single hole in the front of mine.  My question is:  do you think I should have a screen bottom board?  Would this better help to attract?  The SBB saves me time and wood.  I plan on including 3 new foundation frames and 2 with used comb in each nuc and a Mann Lake swarm lurer.   Thoughts.

A medium nuc is not large enough to hold an average of large swarm, they will most likely opt for something different or abscond if caught.  I've had it happen.  If using medium nuc boxes you'll need to double up to make a space slightly larger than a single deep.

The rest of you plan is okay.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:38:03 pm »
The best place to set a swarm trap is said to be 10 feet off the ground. I think a screened bottom would be too open for them to accept it. I have never seen a swarm move into a bottomless hive. Bees cannot see the screen as a full shape, so will consider it an open area.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:41:26 pm »
The average swarm I catch are in the 3-4 lb range but some are in the 7 lb and up range. I like a medium for most but the large ones won't fit in a deep.

This one needed a deep and then some. http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/May252008?feat=directlink

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:25:17 pm »
I have some drawn comb (about 5) and couple extra medium boxes, that I want to use as a swarm trap.
I plan to use solid bottom board, put boxes on top of shed (next to bee yard) or in a tree with a couple frames of drawn comb.  Haven't done this before. 

Does this sound like a decent plan?

I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.