Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mildew  (Read 7427 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Mildew
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:41:44 pm »
It has been raining alot here.We are getting what looks like mildew on our honey comb. Will the bees take care of it or is there something we need to do or can it be something else and not mildew ? Thanks
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 11:24:08 am by Joelel »
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Re: Mildew
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:41:38 pm »
Well, I guess if it's mildew,theirs nothing to worry about.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:52:17 pm »
Hey! Can someone give us an answer here? I aim to produce only comb honey, and am also interested in the answer here.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:24:03 pm »
Hey! Can someone give us an answer here? I aim to produce only comb honey, and am also interested in the answer here.

Maybe people don't know what mildew is,maybe I should call it mold.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:32:41 am »
 :pop:

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:21:51 am »

Or maybe those that know are on the Joelel ignore list.   :shock:

Asking questions and then consistently arguing with those that answer tends to discourage people from answering ...........
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 10:28:09 am »

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 10:46:12 am »
Hello Joelel,

When we had continuous rain here at the beginning of the year, I got these mildew-looking blobs the bees were clearing to the entrance.  With feeding and when the weather cleared up the problem left.  I'd hate to have the honey contaminated, but I'm guessing the bees would clean things up when it gets dry enough to cap it. Perhaps you can take measures to keep the hives a bit drier? Do they have a roof over them and are they sloping to the front? Maybe someone in a humid area has had experience with this.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 10:53:41 am »
Lone,

That looks like chalk brood to me.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 11:01:50 am »
'tis, but still a valuable pic.  the same conditions that make conditions for mold growth favorable, would allow chalkbrood to thrive.  of course, i'm on  the ignore list.....

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 11:02:36 am »
Hello Robo,

I did wonder about that at first, because the blobs were about the size of brood, but they had a more waxy feel.  I never had a problem with chalkbrood after that, though, and I have seen chalkbrood in a friend's hive.  The black substance was much like mould.  I couldn't inspect inside much then because of the weather.  I sent that photo to an old beekeeper because I was concerned, and he replied that the bees were just cleaning up.

Lone

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:05:09 am »
Then again, chalkbrood's just another kind of fungus, isn't it?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 11:42:54 am »
caused by fungus, i believe.  kind of like athletes foot is a skin condition caused by a fungus  :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:55:37 pm by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 11:53:04 am »
 :pop:

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 12:08:22 pm »
Hello Kathy,

I looked up some pictures of chalkbrood and my picture does look similar.  The chalkbrood I had seen was only white, not black. 

So does chalkbrood fungus produce a mildew? 

I searched here for answers. 

http://agclass.nal.usda.gov/mtwdk.exe?s=1&n=1&y=0&l=60&k=default&w=Fungi,+Yeasts,+Molds+and+Mildews&t=3

(Now, my brain is turning into a mushroom after getting up at 530am, working till 415pm, driving home and back to town, going boxing for 1.5 hours, then coming home and catching chooks, delousing the langshans' bottoms and worming the araucanas.  Anyway, Joelel, it might be safer to wait for a break in the rain than using athlete's foot cream in your hives  ;))

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 01:42:15 pm »
Ok, two issues going on. 

Joelel, mildew (or mold) on combs is common.  Stored comb gets it, comb that is not being actively maintained by the bees outside the cluster over the winter will get it, the boxes and frames will mold as well.  Very common, considering there is moisture as well as traces(or more) of sugar on the comb it is to be expected.  The bees will clean it.  But if you are getting white and black pebbly things on the landing board, then see the next paragraph.

Lone, your picture is in fact of chalkbrood mummies (yup, a fungus).  Whether the fuzzy stuff on the mummies is the fruiting bodies of the chalkbrood fungus or mold doesn't matter too much.  But chalkbrood doesn't cause the comb to mold, only the bee larvae.  Chalkbrood can be caused by excessive moisture, the bees can usually clean up an infestation, but occasionally if the hive is mature the queen will need to be replaced if it doesn't go away.

Rick

Rick

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 07:31:13 pm »
Ok, two issues going on. 

Joelel, mildew (or mold) on combs is common.  Stored comb gets it, comb that is not being actively maintained by the bees outside the cluster over the winter will get it, the boxes and frames will mold as well.  Very common, considering there is moisture as well as traces(or more) of sugar on the comb it is to be expected.  The bees will clean it.  But if you are getting white and black pebbly things on the landing board, then see the next paragraph.

Lone, your picture is in fact of chalkbrood mummies (yup, a fungus).  Whether the fuzzy stuff on the mummies is the fruiting bodies of the chalkbrood fungus or mold doesn't matter too much.  But chalkbrood doesn't cause the comb to mold, only the bee larvae.  Chalkbrood can be caused by excessive moisture, the bees can usually clean up an infestation, but occasionally if the hive is mature the queen will need to be replaced if it doesn't go away.

Rick

Thank you. I know it's mold,just wondering if it was a problem.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 09:27:08 pm »

Asking questions and then consistently arguing with those that answer tends to discourage people from answering ...........

consistently arguing ? Now your a liar and I don't mind telling you.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 09:46:07 pm »

Thank you Robo.   X:X

I'm sure a bunch of people feel the same way.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 10:22:22 pm »
Robo, this one's for you.....   :deadhorse:   :deadhorse:      :deadhorse:

You and I can't possibly keep up with the intellectual genius of Joelel.

Why, I bet if he was in the army, he would advance all the way to Sergeant Major.   :roll:   :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything