Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: That riding gal  (Read 3092 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
That riding gal
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:31:53 am »
Guess I've been riding most of my life, horses, bikes, motorcycles....now the new and improved woman that rides a Harley, smiling.  I began my motorized riding years about the age of 14.  During those younger years of my life, until the age of 16, we lived in a town called Burnaby.  During those days everyone in our area had small acreage, like about 1 acre.  We lived close to a mountain called Burnaby Mountain, and a big long shallow river called Brunette River.  Along the Brunette River was a beautiful gravel road, hard packed from the trucks that used to drive along it to service the different fish gates (think that was what they were).  That was where my Brother and Sister and I used to ride the motorcycle.  We also had a Honda 50 (an automatic one, yay, that we would share).  We would have to carry them over the railroad tracks to get there.  We also had the luxury of many logging road trails that used to cover the side of Burnaby Mountain, many of them leading up to our local university, Simon Fraser University.  We would spend the days in spring, summer and fall riding these trails, as long as the gas would go, and for some reason, in those days, gas went a long ways.  Those were the days my friend, indeed we'd thought they'd never end....in those days, we could play all day long, never would our Mother or Father worry about our safety -- we were responsible, as were most of the other members of society -- there were no fear of the nasty folk that make every parent these days, be terrified if they cannot see their child in sight.  I may exaggerate a little with this statement, but not much.

Anyways, our steeds in those days were our horses and our 1960ish (can't recall that exact year) Yamaha 80 bike.  It was the times of our lives, times I will never forget.  This bike is still in my back forty (again exaggerating, it is only 5 acres).  It sits along a fence, probably itself remembering those wonderful years of high usage by three young adults -- wishing it could be ridden again, but narry a chance, it just does not work anymore.  Enjoy that picture, that takes me back to those days of yesteryear.  AND...have that most incredibly awesome and beautiful day, to have with wonderful health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: That riding gal
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:26:58 pm »
Cindi I use to have a Honda 90 man did I have with it bought it for 50 dollars I worked all summer to pay for it. Thank you for a trip down my memory lane.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 04:53:01 pm »
Hey Cindi, born to be wild and keep bees?

Grandad Bell (beekeeper) in the 1940's.

Andrew

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 09:34:02 am »
Cindi, we road mini-bikes, one cylinders I'm sure, back when I was 11-13. My uncle had a Honda 50, think it was a CB-50. We would ride our bikes and play football games all day long in the streets, while our parents did what normal adults did back then.

Now, kids can't be out of an adult's site for five minutes without the police being called in.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 11:32:49 am »
Andrew, you Grandfather looked very cool on that bike, wow, such an old photo.  Seems many of my forum friends have had their times riding on their lil' bikes, smiling...oh those memories of childhood days.  Have that most beautiful and incredibly wonderful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 02:48:28 pm »
I have been riding all my life as well.  It's a funny thing.  I started out on small motorcycles,  worked my way through the big stuff, spent some time on Italian liter sport bikes both on and off the track and now I am finding myself gravitate back towards smaller motorcycles.

There is something free about the nimble characteristics of a small motorcycle.  Nothing like whipping through a parking lot and parking directly at the front door of where you are going.  I recently got a Benelli Buzzer mini bike off of CL as a project.  You want to talk about hard to find parts,  would be easier looking for hens teeth.

Here is my latest acquisition.  It's a 2010 Sachs MadAss 125 and some of the best fun I have in a long time on two wheels.  It's a modern version of an old idea.  I'm all for old bikes as projects but for riding I prefer modern dependability and disk brakes.  I love it just as much as any two wheeler I have ever owned.

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP