Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Morel Mushroom Hunting  (Read 12652 times)

Offline trahn007

• New Bee
Morel Mushroom Hunting
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:04:42 pm »
will not be long before these start to show up.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: Morel Mushroom Hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:17:22 pm »
Fish!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Pillpeddler

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:25:56 pm »
Someone in the pharmacy yesterday was telling about a guy who'd found 1000 last week and sold 800.   I didn't think they would be up yet, usually coincides with turkey season.   Great twofer visit in the woods.   I keep an onion sack as part of my turkey outfit.  ;)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 03:07:16 pm »
Is there good money in those boogers?

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:26:17 pm »
Yup and mushroom hunters never share their locations with anyone. If they know where the mushrooms are they aren't telling and if you find a good place you keep your mouth shut.
They can unload tons of them at a time by just going around to the restaraunts.
Mushrooms grow well in the forest wherever their has previously been a fire.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »
Well then just what part of the country do they grow in? 
 I have seen ginseng growing in the mountains, but not enough to make it worth while.  People what hundreds or thousands of pounds of the dried ginseng to ship to them at one time.  Has anyone ever collect them for market?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 08:18:52 pm »
I know they grown in NE Indiana. I plan on making a trip this year just to go look for them. Natalie is right about not sharing info. Mushroom hunters keep their info very secret. Another important thing is not to pull the base out of the ground. Cut it off just below ground level and cover the cut part up with dirt and leaves. I watched a show on the Travel Channel where it is a coat throat industry and people are using GPS to mark all locations where they find the mushrooms and even go the extent of covering up their tracks to where they walk to. You wont eat a better mushroom other than these.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:57:36 pm »
Shawn, what part of N/E Indiana will you be in?  Just curious.... hopefully not my woods  :-D  I'd hate to shoot a fellow beek :'(

So far around Fort Wayne there has been nothing.  We need some good warm nights, and some rain.  I did find some new shrooms.  Ever try Dryad's Saddle?  They were tasty, but not as good as sponge.

Good luck!
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:59:19 am »
blacks have been showing up for over a week here but most of my secret locations have whites and it will be another week or 2 before we start finding them

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 06:25:59 pm »
Im going into Wells County. I have relatives there so I wont be trespassing, well not much  :roll:

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 09:51:37 pm »
Good luck...

We are just a little North of there. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 12:53:45 pm »
I pick mushrooms to suppliment my income from time to time.  Morels on normal days get 10-12/lb for the whites.  I've seen as high as 30/lb for them....

I make it a point to carry when I am picking mushrooms.  I had come out of the woods once to find a group waiting for me.  They wanted my mushrooms and had flattened my tires. I kept my distance and informed them I didn't appreciate their presence.  They kindly went away after a little persuasion.

Had 2200 bucks of morels that day.  Used most of it up to get someone out there to replace all 4 tires so I could drive home.

Dont know how your guys area is... but here in the PNW they take picking mushrooms very seriously.  Also... FWIW, I prefer shaggy mein (sp?) and chantrelle over the morel.  A good beginners book for mushroom picking is 'All that the rain promises and more' It is a very easy to use guide that focuses on most of the EDIBLE mushrooms of North America and also shows the false varieties so you can distinguish between them.
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 03:43:33 pm »
Is the "shaggy mane" the same thing as the "lawyers wig"?  If it is, I have heard that both that and the chantrelle are very tasty. 

Thanks for the book title.  I will have to look it up.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 10:22:39 am »
Mark next time I see you can I borrow that book and I would like to see your food dryer to get some Idea's.I used to dry chantrelle when the price was down and sell them to a broker in portland for a good price.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 02:03:08 pm »
Absolutely!

I will make sure to keep it in the truck.  I know what I am looking for and haven't cracked the book open in a few years.
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 09:08:12 pm »
Well got back yesterday from Indiana but did not find any mushrooms. I tried several days, when it didnt rain, and nothing. I think the only thing I got was posion ivy  :-x

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 10:31:25 pm »
Is there good money in those boogers?
Holy cow, yes! They usually sell for around $40/lb around here. Not that I would ever, ever part with any of my finds!!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 10:32:04 pm »
Yup and mushroom hunters never share their locations with anyone. If they know where the mushrooms are they aren't telling and if you find a good place you keep your mouth shut.
Isn't that the truth? ALL the neighbors hunt for them, and nobody's talking. Not a word.
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 10:32:28 pm »
Well then just what part of the country do they grow in?
I think in most parts...
The pedigree of honey
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

anything