Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie question..  (Read 1537 times)

Offline KS wife

• New Bee
Newbie question..
« on: April 23, 2008, 03:35:30 pm »
I removed the queen cages today.  Both queens had been released.  In one hive there was plenty of room for me to slide the frames over and add that tenth frame.  In the other hive, there was a whole bunch of comb in the wide gap in the middle.  I took pics, but dh isn't home to download them.  (I really, really need to figure out how to do that.)  Do I need to remove all that so I can get the tenth frame in?  Can I just leave it there?  Does it make a difference that we're expecting thunderstorms shortly and when they pass I'll be gone all day for two straight days?  (I will be home to sleep and will have to refill the feeders in the dark.)   If the weather passes soon enough, I might be able to work on that hive for a bit tomorrow afternoon, otherwise the earliest opportunity I have to do something (short of working in the chilly dark) is Sunday afternoon.

I can post pics this evening if that will help answer the question.

Thanks so much,
Kirstin

Offline a wannabee

• New Bee
Re: Newbie question..
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 03:46:24 pm »
You will want to remove the burr comb as soon as you can. It wont hurt anything to leave it until Sunday but by then they will have built it up quite a bit and you will feel bad about throwing away all of their hard work and pollen and nectar collection along with possibly eggs. It's amazing how much comb they can build in a short time. On the flip side  the burr comb makes for an excellent show-n-tell item if you have kids in school.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:20:23 pm »
I agree.  Remove the burr comb.  I had some myself this year because I wasn't able to take care of the bees like I usually do because of my schedule. I removed it and they recovered.  All the hives are doing very well so far this spring. Hopefully I have the same news to report after next winter. 
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline KS wife

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:36:05 pm »
Thanks so much.  Now to pray the weather cooperates and I can deal with it tomorrow before it gets too much bigger. 

anything