Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Howdy! New beek here  (Read 2261 times)

Offline TemeculaBeek

• New Bee
Howdy! New beek here
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:21:54 pm »
Howdy!
I'm a new beek located in Temecula California. Wine country!

I became interested in beekeeping because the bees like my house! 3 years ago we had a swarm move into the chimney. Being stupid I built a fire in the fireplace and they didn't like the heat and smoke so they moved on. 2 years ago we had a swarm make a hive under the eaves of the house. Later that month a swarm rested in a tree about 15 feet from the hive. I left the bees under the eaves alone until some gardener with his noise maker (blower? weed whacker?) go stung ONCE and called the city. The city came out and gave me 2 weeks to remove the "nuisance".

I have been reading voraciously for over a year on beekeeping. I have done my research.

I have also bought a nuc, deep box, medium box and all my necessary tools. I made my own veil and sewn it to a white coverall I had. I sewed sleeves onto some work gloves too (word of advice if you do this, don't use cloth backed gloves. They aren't sting resistant). I have made an additional 6 medium boxes and bought enough frames to fill them.

I'm fairly well set. My nuc has grown quite well since I put it in the hive about 2 months ago (hey, it's So Cal!).

I have done ONE swarm capture and placed it in a 8 frame medium hive at my brothers house. I GUESS that it had about 1500 bees. It dwindled down to only a few hundred but they are building comb and have not died off completely yet. Oh, and I made the hive boxes for this one also.

I registered here because I am looking for a liability release form in case I do more removals. But I also read Kirk-o 's post that in California you need to be licensed to legally remove bees. I'll be in touch with him more. Hope he's still a member here. I have been to one of his mentoring sessions and found it to be VERY informative.

Well that's enough for now. As Kirk-o likes to say in his videos "backwards is the new forwards".

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
Re: Howdy! New beek here
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 05:35:28 pm »
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you are already well on your way!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:17:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline TemeculaBeek

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:27:21 pm »
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you are already well on your way!

Thanks. I try to "be prepared" (I'm also an assistant Scoutmaster).

I have learned from other hobbies that things can only get better if your more educated on the subject AND every opinion you read can be refuted! So, I take everything I read with some portion of salt.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:42:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum, TemeculaBeek.  I have watched most, if not all Kirk's videos.
 I really liked them.  Haven't seen any new ones lately.  Good luck to you and your bees.  I think he was a member here, not sure.

Joe

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:49:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum, TemeculaBeek
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:06:57 am »
Welcome and good luck.

David.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

anything