Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Hive plans  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Tinker Belle

• New Bee
Observation Hive plans
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:29:38 am »
I am a huge fan of observation hives, but prefer that they are fully functional rather than being an interrupt to a normal hive.  So I've been researching designs, and then modified plans to make a very simple 8 frame hive.  It is 2 frames deep, with the bottom pair being deeps, for easy installation of the brood, and 3 pairs of mediums above.  Both sides open, a debris drawer cleans out what falls through the bottom screen without taking the hive outdoors, and bees enter and exit through a 1" clear plastic tube.  My signature has a link to the plans, which do not require a router, table saw or other special woodworking equipment.  I have added a 1 1/4" hole center top, currently plugged, but which will open into a 2-frame honey super that can be added & removed without taking the whole hive outdoors.  I will update the plans with details on that project as it is completed.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Re: Observation Hive plans
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:47:50 pm »
I like this one. I may attempt to make one, thanks.

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 07:52:02 pm »
Looks nice.   :)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 08:20:03 pm »
Problem with pairing the frames is that the queen will spend 90+% of the time in between frames and lay as much brood as she can in there.  Which in turn doesn't leave much to observe. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 12:29:46 am »
Bingo Robo. That's why I don't like double wide OHs, it kinda defeats the purpose of having an OH.

I wasn't aware that a router and table saw were "fancy stuff." Granted they do cost some cash, but at $60 or so for a cheap router I think you get your moneys worth out of it. If planned out, your router can replace most other tools that I use, including a table saw. It just takes about five times longer to complete my cuts.

I must say that I like your feeder design though.

anything