Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another supering question  (Read 2921 times)

Offline rayb

• House Bee
Another supering question
« on: May 31, 2006, 05:41:28 pm »
I know I must keep ahead of the bees by adding on supers. The forum posts talk about adding when supers get approx. 70% full.

Question... By 70% "FULL" do you mean 70% capped honey or  70% open cells full of uncured honey?

One super is 100% CAPPED honey and the next is 50 -70% UNCAPPED with maybe 10% capped.

Seems like every day I have more questions. Thanks for all your help

Ray

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Another supering question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:56:43 pm »
Quote from: rayb
I know I must keep ahead of the bees by adding on supers. The forum posts talk about adding when supers get approx. 70% full.

That is some misunderstanding. If you have 70% capped box, you should be ready to exctract it.

You may have 3 whole empty super on the hive and after one week they are all full of honey and capped. That happens on rape field.

You should evaluate how much is going to come and then give free combs for honey.

If you have one box capped honey, you have needed to more box where nectar have dryed up.

If you take 4 box capped honey in one time and you give 4 empty box on hive, bees spread nectar on whole comb area. If honey flow stops, all honey stays open.

First of all: You must give room for bees. Then if it occur honeyflow, bees fill hive with honey. If flow continues, and you take capped honey away, bees fill combs again.

Everybody has different kind of hives and different kind of pastures.
One hive site may give 3 times more honey tahn another.

70% rule is imposible to apply at least to me.

[/quote]

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 07:45:12 pm »
I believe the 70% rule you are refering to is when 7 out of 10 frames are drawn out (that is with wax) then it  is time to put a new box of 10 on top. If you already have drawn frames then you can put them all on at once and let the girls fill them at their own pace.
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline rayb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:49:06 pm »
Thanks, I guess I have lots of partial knowledge. I did put another super on tonight and opened the top just a little for more ventilation.
So much to learn and the bees have been fairly patient with me.

Thanks, Ray

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 01:33:39 am »
Quote from: Jay
I believe the 70% rule you are refering to is when 7 out of 10 frames are drawn out (that is with wax) then it  is time to put a new box of 10 on top. If you already have drawn frames then you can put them all on at once and let the girls fill them at their own pace.

To draw combs and fill combs with honey is really very different quenstions. Something to do with package bee hive?

However, if  I have  a box of bees, I let bees first draw all foundations before I give one box more.

If you have  7 frames of bees and then yoy give empty 10 more, so you add 200% your hive space ?  What is the idea?  ( 3 x7=21)

In warm climate it succeed but not in places wher night temperature is 10C.

Hive is not able to handle 3 fold space.

I don't believe 70% rule at all.

I have one box. I give another. It is 100% more.

From 2 to 3 is 50% more

From 3 to 4 is It is 30% more.

Next step is to add 25%. Next 20%.

Just put more room and dont calculate percents.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 10:22:47 pm »
Finsky,

The secret with English is to not take it literally.  Go for the concept.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 11:54:34 am »
Finsky, the idea they've been trying to convey is when a box has 7 out of the 10 frames drawn/capped/ripening add another super.  You may be looking too deep into things.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 12:40:57 pm »
Quote from: Apis629
Finsky, the idea they've been trying to convey is when a box has 7 out of the 10 frames drawn/capped/ripening add another super.  You may be looking too deep into things.

I use more what Australians say: If you have one box full of honey, you have needed 2 more box where bees have rippened the honey.

Perhaps you have so poor pastures that 70% manages.  

I do this: when I take my hives to rape field ,I have 3 deeps and one medium in hive. On rapefield I add 3 empty medium box more and if weather is proper,  next week I have to take 2 caped box away and add more 3 box.

How 70% rule works in this case. I cannot use it. If my boxes are 70% full of honey they surely have swarmed when I arrive from capital city to my cottage.

If my hive is not 3 deep + 4 medium, I join two weak hives.