Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Changing out a bottom board for a screened bottom board - best time?  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Diane

• New Bee
Can anyone tell me when is the best time to change out a regular bottom board on a hive to a screened bottom board?  I'm assuming it's too late at this time of year. We currently have temperatures in the mid 50's here going down into the 40's at night. 
Thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Changing out a bottom board for a screened bottom board - best time?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:41:53 pm »
Any day in the 50's will work.  Set the bottom board down where you want it.  Set the lid down and stack all the boxes except the last on the lid.  Put the bottom box on the bottom board and restack the boxes in the same order and the same orientation as you took them off.  I'd put a tray in the SBB to keep the wind out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:23:43 pm »
I started out with SBB's, but another good time to switch would be in the Spring when you reverse the hive bodies.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:37:50 pm »
the only reason i wouldn't do it now is that they have sealed things up already.  + they are, or should be, heavy with honey.  spring will do.  IF you reverse hive bodies, that would be a good time to do it.  i don't think many of us do that anymore.  MB's way is the easiest, or use a hive stand if you have one.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 02:34:33 pm »
Hey kathyp,

Is there a reason why you don't reverse the boxes?  Or was there not enough benefit to justify?  I've been thinking about doing this next spring, but am curious about the pro's and cons.

Thanks!
ziffa

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 03:24:34 pm »
used to do it.  then i started doing cutouts and seeing how hives really work.  it occurred to me that i was doing it because i had been told that was the thing to do, not because there was a benefit to the hive. 

that's not to say that i never manipulate frames, or even swap a box from time to time.  it's just that when i do it now, it's for a reason and not just because someone said it's the thing to do.

save yourself some work.  stop swapping unless you have a real need to do it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 05:10:26 pm »
Cool.  Thanks Kathy!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:10:42 pm »
>Is there a reason why you don't reverse the boxes?  Or was there not enough benefit to justify?  I've been thinking about doing this next spring, but am curious about the pro's and cons.

I don't think it's beneficial to disrupt the brood nest.  Bees naturally work back down in a tree and they will do so in a hive as well.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#stopswitching
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:20:28 pm »
Thanks Michael, what a great link.  I'm thinking that's definately my style of beekeeping.  I've already decided to try foundationless next spring. 

I was worried because my bottom box had empty frames, although my top box looks fine.  Iddee (who is awesome!) told me not to switch them now, but that if I wanted to I could in the spring.  I like the idea of leaving them as much to their own ways as possible.  I guess I'll just see how they are doing next spring and make a decision then.  I am hoping to get a good enough build up to try and do a split (gulp), which I guess will solve that problem anyway.  Do you think switching a light bottom box for a fuller top box would increase their build up early next spring? Or is that not in anyway related?  I think when I was talking with Iddee we were more discussing honey stores, but I had a whole list of questions for him, and I can't quite remember the details of that one!  :roll:

Thanks again for the info. I really do appreciate this board and all of ya'lls help!

ziffa

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 08:18:20 pm »
>Do you think switching a light bottom box for a fuller top box would increase their build up early next spring?

Some people think so.  I don't.

> Or is that not in anyway related?

IMO it's not related.

-------------------