Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: From the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains.  (Read 3080 times)

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
From the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains.
« on: June 21, 2008, 08:00:59 pm »
Alittle late in introducing myself since I've already posted.  Had a swarm emergency.  51 years old and have several interests.. dog mushing, Turkey Hunting, Sugaring, all outdoor stuff.  Worked 25 years in industry.(paper mills)  Am totally fascinated by these bees.  Very pleased to be part of this forum.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: From the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »
Welcome Gary, have to ask you though what "sugaring" is?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:45:48 pm »
JP  Sugaring is probably a geographic term for making maple syrup and maple candy from the sap of a Maple tree.  A valuable resource in the north eastern US and Canada.  And very tasty as well.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:05:04 pm »
JP,

It's a Northern thing, you wouldn't understand. Now all y'all go back to eatin' your grits....What the heck is grits anyways :?

BTW, Welcome Gary, good to have you aboard.  Not quite sure where exactly you are,  but the 'dacks is a beautiful place.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:57:36 pm »
Hey Gary,
My wife is from Plattsburgh!...Heard of the Monopole? Theres a painting on the wall of a girl sitting at the bar...Thats my wife, Janelle in the painting!
 Welcome to the forums!
 My wifes sister Sonia Hazeldon, and her husband Doug used to live in a log cabin in the Adirondacks. No electricity, way out in the woods. They finally had enough and moved to Bloomingdale! Well, there ya go!
your friend,
john

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 01:39:57 am »
johnnybigfish,  Been to Plattsburgh hundreds of times.  Will have to check out the monopole thing.  I love the Adirondack Park.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 02:06:29 am »
Thanx Gary@!
My wifes face is BEAMING!
 Her parents have a cabin right on Cumberland head!
 Well get more into this later, huh?

your friend,
johnm

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 08:38:38 am »
JP,

It's a Northern thing, you wouldn't understand. Now all y'all go back to eatin' your grits....What the heck is grits anyways :?

BTW, Welcome Gary, good to have you aboard.  Not quite sure where exactly you are,  but the 'dacks is a beautiful place.

Now Rob, would you believe there was a house with maples that they would harvest syrup from not a half a block down from where I lived when I was 12. I actually passed by there less than a week ago just to see if the trees were still there and they're gone!!!

I remember the buckets hanging on the trees with the syrup dripping, it was intriguing, never did get a taste of it though. I've heard it takes lots to make syrup so with the handful of trees they had I bet it was a real precious commodity to those folks. And yep, I know its got to be boiled down good. ;)

Grits are ground up bits of corn that are warmed up after a lil water and butter had been added during the boiling process. They're actually pretty darn good IMO.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 09:36:46 am »
Now Rob, would you believe there was a house with maples that they would harvest syrup from not a half a block down from where I lived when I was 12. I actually passed by there less than a week ago just to see if the trees were still there and they're gone!!!

Interesting...  I'm no expert at it, but I did work for a guy when I was in high school.  Quantity/quality is very weather dependent.  I know cold nights and warm days are best.   I wouldn't think the weather way down south would be advantageous to syruping.   

No more buckets on trees anymore,  it was gone high tech with plastic/rubber tubing running from tree to tree to main lines that in some cases run right to the sap house.   Looks like a freakin intensive care unit of a hospital with all the IV lines :-\   Not to many ma/pop operations anymore either.  They haul syrup in big milk trucks around here.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 11:00:04 am »
Gary, welcome to our forum, this is indeed a wonderful place to spend time, you will see that.  Tell us your stories and tales, ask questions, welcome.  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service