Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Refurbishing older extractor  (Read 2039 times)

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
Refurbishing older extractor
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:13:56 pm »
I am looking into buying a USED extractor. (72 Frame) Kelley I think. The basket has quite a bit of rust on it. I am thinking about sandblasting it and coating it. Any suggestions?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Refurbishing older extractor
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:34:47 pm »
A 72 frame rehab is a pretty big job to tackle, I'd suggest looking for a used commercial appliance dealer in your area (if you put your location in your profile it might help). They refurbish all types of equipment and would at least have some good suggestions for you.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 12:00:01 am »
Thanks. Location Updated. I was thinking about maybe a food grade epoxy paint or maybe even ceramic coating. The unit is is pretty good shape with the exception of the basket. I noticed that the basket did not have any notches to hold frames in place like others I have seen. Is this still a good design, or are there any inherent issues with this type of basket?
Thnks

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:05:38 am »
There's a company here that sells a food grade coating that is actually glass fragments in suspension with some sort of polymer. It's touted as a cure-all for all sorts of stuff.  I'll try to find out more about it and get back to you.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:45:16 am »
clean, wash with acetic acid and paint with Cam Coat

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:45:34 am »
You can use this

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1278

just about all of the  bee supply houses have it hope this help you.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:56:20 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:31:37 am »
removing rust by electrolysis

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:39:23 pm »
Thanks to all for the help.

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 09:01:09 am »
if the extractor 'can' was stainless???? I would think about contacting Kelleys and see if they would make you a stainless reel.  they also sell cam coat.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 11:05:15 am »
Thanks Tecumseh. I have a call into them and waiting for them to get back to me. Yes the can is stainless. I am also concerned about the smooth reel that is in it already. I know that the newer style has the knuckles that hold the frames in place.