Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Swarms  (Read 2509 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Small Swarms
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:47:01 am »
When July came one of my hives decided to swarm again... and again. The fact I'd just harvested honey didn't help things at all. Both swarms were literally 2 hand fulls of bees.

The first landed under my neighbor's trampoline. You have no idea how badly I wanted to jump on the thing to get them to fall down into the box. I just think this is the cutest bee hive ever!

Thankfully one of my hives had gone queen-less and I've done a newspaper combine. So this small swarm was convenient.

Second swarm landed under the glider, on my property thankfully.

I've no idea what to do about it. It's something like a frame and a half of bees.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Small Swarms
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 05:05:33 pm »
Hiv'em and feed'em and giv'em drawn frames if you hav'em. They will expand enough for winter. I winter on one deep and a medium. You should be able to get them built-up in time.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 03:54:45 pm »
MILTA.  You got some really nice pictures going on there, love that!!!  Thanks for taking us to this part of your life.  AND have that most beautiful and wonderfullest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:10:57 pm »
Sadly they swarmed out on me in probably the worst way. I had recently harvested honey and decided to give the swarm one of the frames. The queen immediately took to it and started laying eggs. An hour later I saw masses of bees flying into the hive, a few in air combat, and they were robbed into leaving the box. I have no idea where they went or where they were. I saw a small cluster of bees on a nearby tree but the queen was not one of them and they later vanished.

anything