Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why?  (Read 4773 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Why?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 09:43:41 am »
Maybe to tempt beekeepers to ask "Why"? :-D

Maybe the best answer yet. You know a beek always has that question in the back of his mind when it comes to the ladies. Why do they do what they do.

Yup, and probably the why and wherefore we as beekeepers are constantly striving to reinvent the wheel

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 09:16:15 pm »
The original standard sizes were:
9 5/8
6 5/8
5 3/4
4 3/4

Frames

9 1/4
6 1/4
5 1/2
4 1/2

This leaves 3/8" on the bigger boxes (max beespace) and 1/4" on the smaller boxes (min beespace).  But people keep cheating.  Most deep boxes are now 9 1/2 or even 9 1/4".  Most deep frames are now 9 1/8" or even 9".  I think it was a compromise to get close to beespace on the frames while cheating on the boxes to get them to come out of a one by ten.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 05:34:41 pm »
Mr Bush, that makes perfect sense. Since the deep has shrunk with the shrinking standard dimensions I can see why manufacturers have shrunk the frames. I kind of wondered whether the suppliers were using rough cut full dimension and planing the boards down or if they got their stock in standard widths. I would guess that all but the largest are stuck buying standard width.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

anything