Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from NW Georgia, USA  (Read 2797 times)

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
Hello from NW Georgia, USA
« on: July 27, 2008, 06:00:51 pm »
I've been wanting to start bees for several years.  Have a friend who started years ago and called her to see if she wanted a hive in an old house.  She said she would help me get them out and then I could have them--that's how I got bees.  Built all my own equip., ordered all plastic frame/found. after reading all the forums and websites.  After a week I went down to Cedartown and got a new Italian queen from Arthur Hudgins.  I want to have about 4 hives total for fun and honey for family.  Also, I teach second grade so this is great to pull into the classroom.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Hello from NW Georgia, USA
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 07:51:41 pm »
welcome to the forums.It's great you have someone to help you get started.This will be a great thing you can teach to second graders.
I hate  to say it but it seems all you ever need is just one more hive. Good luck with your new adventure!!

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 10:50:45 pm »
Thank you for the welcome.  Anyone else in NW Georgia?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:14:58 am »
Hello and welcome!

Quote from: ArmucheeBee
Anyone else in NW Georgia?
Seems like we have a lot of beeks from GA here on the forum. I'm sure you'll run into them as you read thru the threads in the different forums.

Are you involved with a local bee club? Clubs are great places to get connected with other nearby beeks and learn more about the "local" aspects of beekeeping.
http://www.gabeekeeping.com/local_clubs.htm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 03:00:05 pm »
ArmucheeBee.  Welcome to our forum, nice that you have found us.  What a great adventure in obtaining the first group of bees, you will be addicted and under their spell, needing more and more bees, hee, hee.  We will be your guide and learning tool.  We have so many experienced beekeepers here, there will always be one to answer your questions.  And yes, bring those teachings of the bees into your Grade 2 classroom, that is wonderful.  Have the most beautiful and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:43:20 pm »
I plan on going to the local Bartow Bee Club next month.  Cindi, what do the bees nectar and pollinate on in your area.  As a biology teacher (past life) I am pretty familiar with all our biomes in NA.  That would be the least likely place I would expect to fing beeks!!!! All those ferns and mosses!!:shock:
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:28:42 am »
I plan on going to the local Bartow Bee Club next month.  Cindi, what do the bees nectar and pollinate on in your area.  As a biology teacher (past life) I am pretty familiar with all our biomes in NA.  That would be the least likely place I would expect to fing beeks!!!! All those ferns and mosses!!:shock:

ArmucheeBee.  I am thinking that you are mistaking where I live for somewhere else, I am in British Columbia, in Canada.  Where is NA?

I, along with several other forum members habit that area called the Pacific Northwest.  My particular area could pretty much be considered a rainforest.  Yep, we do have tons of mosses and ferns, but there are myriads upon myriads of other pollination sources for the bees.  I live on five acres and have cultivated a good part of it for bee forage, have spent a couple of years doing this.  Define further what is your query please.  Have this most wonderful day, love our lives we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:43:28 pm »
My bad.  I just read Rainforest of Pacific NW and started typing.  NA=North America
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher