Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hoosier hello  (Read 3162 times)

Offline wayne

• House Bee
hoosier hello
« on: June 21, 2006, 10:07:55 pm »
Hello, I thought I might as well say something about my self. I'm not really a beekeeper. I'm an animal control trapper and I get several calls a year to do bee removals.
  In this part of Indiana bees have been taking a beating from mites, and keepers are losing a large number of hives each year.
  My goal is to improve my capture techniques and get unwanted swarms and hives to keepers who want them.
  Looking forward to learning something.

wayne
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
hoosier hello
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34:11 pm »
ooohhh nice you are here are very different reason , very cool. Welcome enjoy.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

IndianaBrown

hoosier hello
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 12:52:56 am »
Welcome fellow hoosier!  (As a 7 year resident I am still trying to figure out what 'hoosier' means.   :?  )

Since I live inside the city of Indianapolis (in the Irvington area), my 2 hives are plenty for me.  However I am working on permission to put a few hives on some empty property that our church owns next year.  So of you come across any next spring and your regular beeks don't need them, keep me in mind.  :)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
hoosier hello
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 09:55:28 pm »
Wayne,

Are you sure you don't want to become a beekeeper--it is one of the most interesting hobbies in the world.  Think it over.  There's always room for one more.  Beekeepers are not a NIMBY (not In My Back Yard) group of people.  And then every swarm you catch joins your growing apiary.

Oh yeah, Welcome!
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline wayne

• House Bee
hoosier
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 08:33:43 pm »
I'm tempted to setup a hive just to help the wife's garden. I can count on one hand the number of honey bees I've seen around the yard in the last couple years. And I'm not in town.

wayne
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
hoosier hello
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 10:00:25 pm »
I would be willing to say that our garden trippled its yield this year because of the bees...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com