Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ok how much should i feed my weak hive  (Read 1553 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Ok how much should i feed my weak hive
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:09:07 pm »
Hello

Ok here is something i need help on i took a solid frame of capped brood from my big hive yesterday and put in my weak hive to boost them in workers. Now i looked today and they were more active then they have been since i got them in fact all three hives were working like they have found something in bloom. But i want to feed my weak hive since they can not seem to keep and store any honey for the new brood that has been hatching how much should i feed them i do not want to fill the nest up and the queen has no where to lay. Also they have two frames that has not been drawn out and i want to steal another frame from my big hive or at least maybe take a frame from the deep super that they have not put anything in and give it to them so they can have extra room to store it what would you guys do.

Tom

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 01:21:50 am »
Tom, you want to set too much goals to your bees but bees not know about your ideas. Hive has it's own schedule to develope.

Syrup feeding helps your hive not at all. It just fill combs.

2 foundations are vain in the hive because bees cannot occupy the space.
They don't draw frames even if you want. They need not new combs.

The model how to get nuc bigger is simple:

When colony occupies one langstroth box, you need enough bees. Capped frame does not help at once because capping period is 2 weeks.

But if you give 2 full capped frames it produces 6 frames bees during 2 weeks.

And you cannot see if hive is "vigorous". After emerging it takes about 3 weeks untill bees start to fogage.   So 2+3 weeks = over 1 month.

Some accelerating beefing helps but you have still summer there for long time.  

"You want that they draw 2 foundations". Why you do that?  If bees not want, why you force them do such.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 09:13:00 am »
Attempting to force the bees to do something can have unanticipated consequences.  Such as, putting on a queen excluder to keep the queen out of the harvestable honey induces swarming.  
Replacing both undrawn frames with frames of brood from other hives is a better option than attempting to force the bees draw out foundation that their development has not made the ready for can produce similar action from the bees.  Replacing foundation with brood frames from other hives is what I said (in one of your other posts) was the right move.  By doing so you added strength to the hive via new bees and replaced undeveloped space so the emerging bees can be more focused on brood production than comb building.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything