Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding back bee bread / pollen in combs  (Read 1496 times)

Offline gjd

• New Bee
feeding back bee bread / pollen in combs
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:09:47 pm »
Converting from deep/medium to all medium, I've removed my last deep body, but am left with a number of deep frames partially full of pollen / bee bread.  I've tried putting the body above the inner cover to see if they'd move the contents down, but they don't seem very interested after a few days and I'm afraid they'll start using the space if I leave it longer.   They've also shown no serious interest when it's left outside in the bee yard.   Is there any way to feed it back while cleaning out the frames?

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: feeding back bee bread / pollen in combs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 12:31:27 pm »
I've tried putting the body above the inner cover to see if they'd move the contents down,

They will not do that.

1) One way is that you let the queen lay the box full and bees eate pollen off. Then you lift the box over the excluder and bees fill frames with honey when bees emerge.

2) You freeze the frames and crush fragile combs. You get off bee bread and you may use it as pollen patty.

However I recommend 1) case. It is easy way and doen not need extra work. Pollen is too valuable to waste.

3) You cut medium size slices from deep combs and glue them to medium frames
with melted wax.

4) You cut the whole deep frame with saw and put lower wood stick and you get ready medium frames.
The rest of comb you glue as said in 3)

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 06:46:34 pm »
If you're converting to mediums and have no use for the deeps, cut the frame to the size of a medium and attach the strip of comb that you cut from the bottom to another medium frame. Later on, rotate the cut from out.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 04:50:20 pm »
They don't tend to move pollen.  Cut the comb out and tie it into a medium frame, or as Steel Tiger says, cut the frame down.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything