Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bottomless hive  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
bottomless hive
« on: October 19, 2008, 12:44:46 am »
I have read a few posts about bottomless hives with tope entrances.  I am curious, about the set up.  Is it simply a hive body on blocks?  Is there a SBB, slatted rack?  Do packages start on this type of set up?  How high off the ground would such a hive optimally be?  How and why is this a method to cut down on SHB and varroa? Are winter precautions necessary to preserve hive heat?
Brian

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: bottomless hive
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:49:12 am »
This doesn't answer all your questions, but here is an experiment I tried a few years back,  it basically turned into a bottomless hive.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,528.0.html

In it's simplest form, a bottomless hive would be to just set the bottom brood box on some blocks.   I think you want to get it high enough off the ground to prevent rodents from getting access to it.  Winter precautions depend on your weather.  I have since gone to all closed bottoms to retain heat and humidity, so I can't provide much more insight.

Rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:06:10 am »
On my bottomless hives I use stands that put the hives about 10 inches off the ground.  I use slatted racks as a barrier (guard) on the underside of the hive and also to rise it a little further above the ground.  IMO, putting the hive body directly on the stand without some barrier is asking for trouble.  I make my stands so I can slide a 1/4 inch thick piece of plywood under it to close it up, regulate the size of the entrance, and monitor varroa mites (which I can't find any evidence of).
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 08:42:23 am »
Around here they get robbed out.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline wisconsin_cur

• House Bee
    • The Back Porch Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:44:02 pm »
bump

I am going to experiment with this and just looking for any additional feedback any one might have.
“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” J.R.R. Tolkien

The Back Porch

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:15:30 pm »
Seems like a SBB would be a better idea than to leave them open to anything that might want to come inside the hive.

Offline wisconsin_cur

• House Bee
    • The Back Porch Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:11:42 pm »
I think I will keep the sbb and after a day or two cover up the bottom entrance.  My thought is that in the future it is cheaper and easier to build a screened bottom w/o an entrance than with and it is easier/cheaper to build a top exit cover than a standard one.  Both of those I think I can do with lumber just laying around here minus (maybe) some hardwire cloth and plywood.  Then I am left just purchasing boxes and frames.
“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” J.R.R. Tolkien

The Back Porch

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 11:53:54 pm »
In everything I have read they put 1/4 hardware on the bottom to keep the rodents out.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 10:53:07 pm »
In everything I have read they put 1/4 hardware on the bottom to keep the rodents out.

But those who use the hardware cloth are not using slatted racks.  A slatted rack puts over an inch of distance from the hive body and the stand, just like a SBB would.  It also puts bars on the window to keep skunks, etc, from getting into the hive from below.  I have not found any noticable downsides to bottomless hives the way I am currently doing them.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!