Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Notes  (Read 1608 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Hive Notes
« on: May 21, 2016, 09:53:49 pm »
One of my weaknesses is hive notes... one of my other major weaknesses is memory :shocked: My mentor uses a color coded tape system (red, green, yellow, blue) or the old brick on top laying down, on end etc. I like the tape but want more detail.
I have seen the Palmer write on duct tape method and I like it but I can not find a brand of duct tape that the permanent marker does not wash off of in a few weeks. I know a silly question but anyone have a good brand that writing stays put on?
John 3:16

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Hive Notes
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 01:44:50 am »
I've been using the blue painters tape on the back of my hives.  It sticks well to my painted boxes, not so good on the couple of boxes that aren't painted.  I had to pull the tape off this spring that I put on last fall.  I could still read what was written on it with permanent marker.  I don't know if it would fade too much if it was on top of the hive though. 

Offline monarchis

• New Bee
  • What's the buzzzzzzz!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 02:56:54 am »
I was usually wrote all the information in a tablet but the propolis is a big problem. A Greek beekeeper named Alexandros Gousiaris invent the beenotes. I asked from a friend to be in the beek development team and waiting for the codes. Just excited!

http://www.beenotes.com

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 07:26:54 am »
Looks pretty interesting. One big problem for me would bee weather I have Internet access at my hives when I am at the farm. It might work because we now have WIFI set up in the house and we have been finding out that it goes out side pretty far.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 09:34:18 am »
Have you tried writing on a white background with a carpenters pencil?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 10:17:26 am »
Back in my SCUBA-diving days, we used to write notes underwater using a soft lead pencil on 'note-pads' made from Formica (tm).  Off-cuts of white formica are ideal - a quick rub-over with very fine glass-paper is all it takes to provides an ideal surface for writing on.
LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:28:48 am »
LJ - Nice idea on the Formica.
I have a side table for my table saw with a formica top. I routinely use the top to keep measurements handy.  I never thought to transfer the idea to the hive.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline beenotes

• New Bee
    • the first and only voice-controlled apiculture application
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 10:09:10 am »
To @monarchis and all,

Thank you for mentioning beenotes. You are very welcome to sign up and start using it. We are in beta and need feedback so it would be an honour for us to hear from you. Just head over to beenotes.com, sign up, setup your first apiary, download the app from the Google Play Store and start with your hive inspections. You DON'T need to have a data or wifi connection. You can sync your inspection data once you're within wifi range again.

Let me know if you have any questions on our voice-controlled data keeping app.

Thank you
Vicki

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 11:32:50 am »
If you use telescoping covers put the duck tape on the inside of the cover.  I use file cards, one for each colony, for the permanent records, the tape inside the cover is just a backup.

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 11:38:30 am »
if you wear white painters pants you can write in pencil on your pants legs. copy into a notebook at the house & the pencil goes away in the wash.

Offline willyjoekc

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 05:40:18 pm »
Did you try the grease pencil, i used the grease pencil to mark the day for my JUGLINE catfish fishing, the marker stay under water more than month had no problem.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 04:51:57 am »
I am now using file cards now that my wife is working with me. When I start working in a hive, I give the card to my wife and she writes the notes. Then when we are done with that hive I just toss it back on top of the STB.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin