Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do you keep in your hive toolbox?  (Read 13101 times)

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
Re: What do you keep in your hive toolbox?
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 08:24:18 pm »
You can't keep these in your toolbox but here goes...I built these "T"s for hanging sheetrock ceilings.  I only needed two but I made 5 instead.  When doing a cutout you don't need to staple plastic on the ceilings.  You just pad with a towel, place plastic sheathing and stand.  The "T" will hold the plastic up until you are done, then just remove.  I made mine adjustable so that I can go from 6 ft. to 10 ft. in height.  I also keep a "scope" which I bought on the internet for too much ($250.00).  Home Depot has them now for a little less and they are better.  You just drill a small 1/2" hole and insert the scope.  You can see if there are wires, pipes and the like.  I use it to run strings from one floor to another for conduit.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 08:31:03 pm »
Here are a couple of pics of my "T"s.

My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2009, 11:55:39 am »
I like your T's. My borescope died on me recently. It was like this http://www.restockit.com/18-Flexible-Borescope-5-8-mm-Scope-(SLIPV618).html?source=froogle&Bvar5=100F1&Bvar6=100F1&Bvar7=100F1

It was 1/4" flexible hose with eye piece, was lighted and had a focus dial. The one's from HD have a viewing screen right? How's clarity with such a small screen?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 02:53:20 pm »
JP,

That's exactly what I have.  I actually had two.  The first one got stolen the day I got it in the mail.  I was bringing the tools into a home I was working in and one of the tenants stole it out of my truck.  I ordered the second one and that's the one that I still own.  I paid ~$250.00 each.  So that's a total of $500.  This one is not as good as the one from Home Depot.  Or at least I think.  The one at HD has a screen so it is easier to see...I think.  But it deffinitely saves me a lot of time when I am trying to create as little damage as possible and still see what I am doing inside the walls and ceilings.  As far as clarity....ha,ha,ha...you just have to get used to it.  I was taking dead mice out of a Recreational Vehicle where the mouse was still alive and crawled into a crevasse.  I used the scope to see if I could find it but all I could see it was a very shallow area.  You have to use it for a while to get used to it.  It is also a try-and-see what happens trial and error thing.  You slide the scope inside, take a look, readjust the bend on the tube, take a look, try again, etc.  But it still is worth not opening the wall.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 03:56:43 pm »
Borescopes come in handy occassionally for me anyway. I agree, its a tool where you have to be right up on the object you're trying to see, unless you have one of the extremely high dollar ones with a joy stick that moves a lighted lens. I have a friend that has one, they are the same type instrument used on colonoscopies, cost quite a bundle, more than $40K last time I checked. His you can even make a video with.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 04:31:39 pm »
Yeah,  they all have uses in dark places. :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 04:33:50 pm »
Yeah,  they all have uses in dark places. :-D

I'm not touching that one.

...JP ;)

Offline Maine_Beekeeper

• New Bee
    • Overland Apiaries
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 01:32:35 am »
In my toolbox -
wine corks for closing entrance holes
blue masking tape  - it doesn't take the paint off boxes the way duct tape does
Benadryl
stapler and a few scraps of screen
hive tools
lighter
strike anywhere matches
index cards and business cards for leaving notes
thumbtacks
sharpie pens for marking frames with dates, etc (or writing BAD BOX on that rickety super)
queen catching clip (can also be used to transport queens)
queen marking pen
spare queen cages
small notebook for making hive notes
bandaids
wintergreen scented rubbing alcohol (for cleaning tools and hands between hives)
EAS Master Beekeeper

anything