Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen supercedure for laying habit  (Read 1199 times)

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
Queen supercedure for laying habit
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:43:13 pm »
Prioviosly I asked about my nuc that was taking syrup fast. There was a bunch of capped brood in the center and capped syrup filled the rest of the drawn comb. The problem was the queen ran out of room in the brood area and started laying mixed in with the syrup.

It seems the girls were upset as well since yesterday I went out there and found a supercedure cell. I really don't blame the queen since it was a condition that was forced upon her. My question is this:

Should I let the supercedure happen or remove the cell?
Will the queen go back to a normal laying pattern?

I put on a super in hopes that the workers will start storing honey up there. Once comb is drawn out, I will be putting on a queen excluder because of the queens laying habits.

The queen is laying so I would like to give her time to straighten out before I let her get replaced. My inclination is to move the queencell in with a small swarm I picked up yesterday that acts like it is queenless.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Queen supercedure for laying habit
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 02:52:25 pm »
I had a supercedure cell last week and I let it stay. The bees know best and will take care of their hive. They know more about the current queens health and problems than people do. I would let it stay.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Queen supercedure for laying habit
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:25:49 pm »
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!