Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do I love more than opossum and sweet taters cooked on a pine board!  (Read 11415 times)

Offline dronedave22

• New Bee
That's a great story...about catching feral bees, not about eating possum and sweet taters LOL!  I'm glad you started this thread cause I was going to put up a post asking if any of you had tried beelining?  This Connecticut Yankee can remember as a child our next door neighbors had a big oak tree in their backyard with feral bees in it, I can remember seeing my first swarm my parents and I were outside they were gardening as always and they're was the huge noise like a train moving through the sky then we saw it went inside on the porch and watched them congregate on a tree limb in our yard I was fascinated by it.  A couple years after that during a hurricane my neighbor's tree came a tumblin' down on to their back porch and roof causing a lot of damage.  While we were looking at the damage we saw the huge hive of comb and honey and bees pouring out, we did the only thing their was to do started ripping out the comb passing it around and eating the honey...it was awesome!!!  Wish I had the interest back then or had the sense to contact the local beeman as we called him to have a chance to get some local bees and a queen?

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
Yes!  A story worthy of Poke McHenry, or Patrick McManus!  I know the kind of person that is, dissatisfied with the campfire because they couldn't find branches that grow with the forks in both directions, so they can hang the pots over the fire...
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
Rbin...  you go man...   sounds like fun...  just be careful... don't get yo'sef hurt...  keep us up to date...  an' if'n yu fine a possum up dat tree...  yu let him stay even if Easter is comin' soon...!!   John

John, it's Easter and I didn't find a possum in the tree but I did find a nice big pork sholder in the smoker this morning, it sure does smell and look good.

And to everyone here on the forum this I say to each of you on this wonderful Easter day.

Today we celebrate our Lord and Savior conquering death, hell and the grave! He sufferd such a horrific death for you and I. God's Word says He was beaten more than any man and His appearance after that beating was unrecognizable. He took so much for us, so we could live and reign in Heaven with Him. He loves us that much and more. Today, this glorious Easter day, would be a wonderful time to accept Him into your life if you haven't already done so. He is risen for you and the whole world! The resurrection gives your life meaning and direction and the opportunity to start over no matter what your circumstances may be or what you may have done. In Christ, you become a NEW creation, old things are passed away, behold all things become new! HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE! I thank God for all of my friends and family, and for this forum in order for me to spread the message of the Gospel each day to all of you. Thanks for reading my post when ever you can or if you do. I hope that I can at least reach one person each day for HIS glory!

Thanks
Rbinhood
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
Re: What do I love more than opossum and sweet taters cooked on a pine board!
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2012, 08:35:33 am »
I realise I'm a bit late to the dinner party but your possum recipe reminds me of the Aussie recipe for cooking Galah. Take a Galah and an old boot, boil them together in a big pot for 5 hours, throw away the Galah and eat the boot.

Offline yelnifok

• New Bee
Re: What do I love more than opossum and sweet taters cooked on a pine board!
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2012, 03:21:43 am »
Im new to this site and was reading old posts when I found this- bless you rbinhood, not only for your beliefs' but for the great story - I have one of those 'friends' and was thinking how funny it would have been if he had been with you. I'd be rolling on the floor!!!!lee..