Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extreamly large swarm problem  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Bellavista2

• New Bee
Extreamly large swarm problem
« on: April 12, 2016, 05:47:49 pm »
I,m in over my head I caught a small swarm once but these are huge.  4ft tall and the size of a 9" plate.  I set up 2 deep boxs with frames and foundation then 3rd box a medium with frames and fecundation 4th box a empty deep then I put the feeder on top. They pretty much filled the 4th empty box. After 4 hrs. most of them that missed being dumped in have gone inside. They are still quite agitated.    The first swarm i caught on  4/11 I didn't use a large enough trash can and when I shook them in a lot went on the ground I still had a large amount but I figured I very well missed the Queen so I put a Queen in after 2 days and they seem calm So I haven't looked inside yet. On the swarm I caught today I may have got the Queen but there's no way to sort thru that mess of bees to find out that I can see. Advice please on how to manipulate the hive boxes normally I add a box as needed I've never started out with a whole pile before also   if I should just go ahead and put a Queen in how soon should it be. Its cloudy and cool Here Evan a little drizzly here.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Extreamly large swarm problem
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:00:32 pm »
If they went in and settled, you probably got her.  leave them alone.  feed them if they need it.  As long as they are settled, don't go digging around in there.  check in a week or so to see if you have eggs.

At that point, you can also look of more than one queen and do a split if you want.

Remember, you will go down in numbers a bit before you start hatching out  new bees.  A big swarm is a prize!!  give them a chance to get going.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:40:09 pm »
Get in there NOW and put frames in the 4th box. Be careful when you remove the feeder. They will  ALL be hanging from the bottom of it. They will have comb drawn from the bottom of the feeder by tomorrow. Then do as Kathy said. You will likely find them in the top 2 or 3 boxes in 7 days, with eggs in the new comb. Remove any boxes that don't have bees at that time.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bellavista2

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 06:56:22 pm »
Thank you for your replies I had no idea they would work so fast. I guess I better open up the one I caught on the 6th the Qween has been in there since the 7th.

Offline Bellavista2

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 07:23:52 pm »
Oh No I opened the deep box on last weeks hive and as you said they drew out quite a bit of comb under the feeder I'm afraid the Queen may be in that beautiful mess .  For some reason I thought they would use the foundation. Seriously there's  12lbs of bees in the empty deep box how do i get the frames in. dump them in front of the hive. I'm talking about 2 separate problems so hard to follow my questions sure is exciting I'll tell you that.   Ideas please

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 07:35:08 pm »
The one today.... Take a spatula from the kitchen. Raise the feeder to 45 degrees. Yes, the syrup will spill out unless you dip it out first. While holding the feeder at 45 degrees, use the spatula to scrape the bees off and let them fall into the box. Then set the feeder aside and slowly ease the frames in, working them side to side to move the mound of bees. When all are in, replace the feeder.

The week old hive...... Empty the feeder, bounce it on the hive until most of the bees are shaken off. Turn it upside down and cut each comb off. Rubber band it into frames if it has a lot of brood. Fill the box with frames and replace the feeder.

PS. Rubber band only the comb with brood. If only honey, set it out for them to rob.

PSS. Having help is ALMOST imperative, although it can be done with only one, it is no fun.

PSSS... The week old hive will NOT be friendly. Dress accordingly and smoke often.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bellavista2

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:45:49 pm »
I didn't look into the deep box on the bottom that's where I put the Queen cage or the med box above it to see if they built comb down there. I just freaked out and put the feeder back on. they sucked up a gallon of sugar water overnight. If I destroy that comb they built and watch for the Qween put another medium on thats a lot of bees for 1 deep and 2 mediums Ideas please  O.K just read your post Thanks I will get right on it before too late.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 08:08:28 pm »
Thanks for catching that Iddee.  I didn't read empty box as EMPTY BOX   :grin:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 08:26:22 pm »
When I quit making mistrakes, I'll fuss at others for theirs. Until that day, I will excuse them and hope they do the same for me.  :wink:

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bellavista2

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 09:17:24 pm »
Thank you both so much. It was very exciting  I had actually used the rubber band method on a top bar hive  few years back and totally forgot about It sure would be nice to have 2 people. I put one comb  on upside down and had to redo it Ha Ha. The feeder was empty so that helped. The bees were fairly calm thru the whole ordeal no stings. I started out with leather gloves and had to switch to nitrate so I could work the rubber bands.  On the new hive I had most of the frames set in place before I realized there was tree branches under them not allowing them to sit all the way down so I had to reach down in there and fish them out with a kazillion bees not too happy but it worked out and they should have time to get inside before dark. What would be a appropriate time to check the new hive for a Queen and also how long should the sugar water go on?  I got some good pictures I'm just not good at posting them.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 09:21:00 pm »
As Kathy said, check for eggs in 7 days.  Feed until 2 boxes are drawn out.

PS.... GOOD JOB...CONGRATS.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 10:43:13 pm »
Congrads!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 08:46:42 am »
Never mind
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 09:16:00 am »
Idee she is from California...be careful using this sort of language with those left coast beeks.....
Dress accordingly and smoke often.

Beekeeping while impaired is BAD :-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 09:40:43 am »
KLB, I disagree. I was born impaired, and have kept bees for40 years.   :shocked:   :cool:

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bellavista2

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 05:39:28 pm »
Pics of swarms

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 10:07:03 pm »
Congratulations. That is the largest swarm that I have ever seen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 11:22:30 pm »
could there have been pollinators in the area and those were left behind and united with a swarm?

that was a massive catch. wish it was mine. I would be dividing for days with new eggs and under cutting for queen cells.
john

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 11:58:49 pm »
could there have been pollinators in the area and those were left behind and united with a swarm?

that was a massive catch. wish it was mine. I would be dividing for days with new eggs and under cutting for queen cells.
john

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Offline Bellavista2

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 12:21:58 am »
The last picture was the swarm I got on the 6th and the 1st picture was on the 12th same tree different branch and I learned to use a larger trash can so I think the Queen may be with them. I Thought they were big but I really haven't seen very many to compare with. One of my concerns was that there  might not be enough room in the boxes that i put them in. Sounds like you guys are thinking along those lines also?

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 01:45:59 pm »
if its a straggler swarm from Pollinators there wont be a queen.....

This is worth a watch if you want to see a REALLY big swarm LOL
https://youtu.be/CpXTK0E7Gco
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 03:36:35 pm »
Crazy huge swarm/cluster on the video.

The OP's swarm was a beast.  I think my biggest has been about 1/2 of that size.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 04:03:51 pm »
I think using the words "Extremely large swarm" and  "problem" in the same sentence is an oxymoron.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 08:52:54 pm »
I think using the words "Extremely large swarm" and  "problem" in the same sentence is an oxymoron.

tongue.png

that's a good one!

john

Offline folieadeux

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 09:50:56 pm »
Absolutely awesome score! 
Congratulations  :happy:
I'm green with envy  :grin:
"Every day is a journey & the journey itself is home." Matsuo Basho

Offline Bellavista2

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 06:57:23 pm »
I wish someone was closer I would be happy to share. I got a third swarm yesterday evening I'm pretty sure it was all the ones that fell off the first two swarms. It was still 6lbs or so I added new Queens to 2 hives and they seem very calm. The swarm from the 15th  I thought I had a good chance of getting the Queen I was going to give it a couple of days before looking but this afternoon they were very agitated  I had a look and they hadn't built out much comb So I'm going to go ahead and put a Queen this afternoon . Hope that's the right choice.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 07:38:23 pm »
I wish someone was closer I would be happy to share. I got a third swarm yesterday evening I'm pretty sure it was all the ones that fell off the first two swarms. It was still 6lbs or so I added new Queens to 2 hives and they seem very calm. The swarm from the 15th  I thought I had a good chance of getting the Queen I was going to give it a couple of days before looking but this afternoon they were very agitated  I had a look and they hadn't built out much comb So I'm going to go ahead and put a Queen this afternoon . Hope that's the right choice.
Good call are you using premated Queens? 

John

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 10:21:47 pm »
if its a straggler swarm from Pollinators there wont be a queen.....

This is worth a watch if you want to see a REALLY big swarm LOL
https://youtu.be/CpXTK0E7Gco
I love that video. When I first saw it I forwarded it to all my non-beek friends. Even folks with no interest in bees are impressed with that one! :smile:
Neill