Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When should my queen lay?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
When should my queen lay?
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:34:44 am »
 Hi all.

Have recently housed a swarm in my hive (2 weeks ago) which was around 10-15k size wise.

I've not kept bees before so after some guidance here. The bees are pretty quiet overall and have so far drawn out around 2.5 frames of comb in the brood box and filled some of the comb with a honey like substance that appears to be quite thick as doesn't pour out during inspection.

I've been feeding the bees syrup since putting them in to get em going also.

My question is when can I expect the queen to start laying as all there appears to be in a few cells (a couple of dozen or so) is a brown/orange coloured substance half filling the comb (not sure if this is pollen or propollis or what?)

Any help would be greatfully received. Thanks, Rob.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: When should my queen lay?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 10:38:52 am »
one thing i can tell you for sure, they don't store propolis, so it's pollen.
a swarm that likes it's home, and has decided to stay...the queen should lay..after the first few cells have been made. if after 2 weeks you don't see any capped brood, i would say something is wrong...or at least brood right before capping.

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 10:45:27 am »
 Hmm,

Latest inspection showed a couple of what looked like emergency queen cells being made.

Any chance the queen may have been killed...

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 10:52:28 am »
Well if they are queen cells being made there is something about the queen the bees tink needs to be replaced.The bees are smart they will take care of it
kirk
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon