Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Double Queen Hives  (Read 1931 times)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Double Queen Hives
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:17:56 pm »
I have a question regarding the setup of a double queen hive (I think that's the way to state it).  Before I get into that part, here's what I am thinking...

I have two splits which are a good bit weaker than the others, but not to the point where a combine before winter is absolutely necessary yet.  I also want to try something new in order to hopefully not even have to worry about splitting.

Split A and split B are the same age.  Both started July 1.  Split A is building up comb faster now that we are beginning the fall flow and are up to 5 frames built up.  I expect 10 frames to be filled in no time.  Split B is a little further along with 7 frames completely built up and the other 3 are being worked on.  Considering that the fall flow is just starting, I am betting they get another box built up in no time.  Who knows, that may even go for Split A.  To visualize the size of the hives, just think of how many each frame of built comb completley covered with bees.  5 and 7 (or 8) respectively.

Hopefully that gives a good description as to where my hives are.

What I am thinking of doing, is making a double queen hive, although I am not sure if what I am thinking of, when I think of a double queen hive, is the right idea.  What I am visualizing is this....

Starting from the bottom:  SBB, Hive A, super, excluder, super, hive B, top entrance, covers.

The supers (provided the splits can't produce enough themselves) will come from other hives.

My thinking is that the warmth from each hive will be enough keep the small clusters warm during the winter.  Being that they are smaller hives, I am sure I can get away with 2 boxes of surplus to winter them with, without worrying about starvation.  Once spring rolls around, I can break it apart to two single hives again.

Anyone see any flaws in this?  Also, is there a proper way to introduce both hives together?  My worry would be fighting once everything is together.  Newspaper in between each hive to start it off?

Thanks and looking forward to thoughts and suggestions.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Double Queen Hives
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 11:28:30 pm »
Always use a newspaper for combining hives unless the 2 being combined are mother/daughter hives united within a few days of swarming.

I see the problem with the upper hive, actually both hives.  You need to divide the stores so that an equal amount is available to each cluster.  What I picture, from what you described, is the lower cluster having access to 3 boxes and the upper cluster only 1 box.  It is difficult to over-winter a 2 queen hive as both clusters will have a tendency to move to the upper box right away and starve with the lower boxes full of honey.]

A 2 queen hive is great for intense foraging/harvest during a honey flow but l would recommend dividing any 2 queen hive for winter--reunite in the spring for a fast buildup for harvest purposes. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 11:37:09 pm »
That makes a lot of sense.  Thanks for that.  I'll see what happens when the fall flow is coming to an end and if necessary, combine then.  Thanks again.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 08:04:21 am »
I agree with Brian assertion that the bees will migrate to one queen and the other will die.  The other possible flaw is the use of only one excluder.  It is safer to have an intermediate area that neither queen has access to.  This eliminates the chances of the queens fighting thru an excluder and provides some insurance if a queen does get thru one of the excluders.
I wouldn't recommend trying to winter in at you have described, especially in PA.  You would be better off keeping them separate.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 03:03:42 pm »
I would never overwinter a hive with an excluder on it.  Without one, they will choose a queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin