Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stings in bad place  (Read 13387 times)

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Stings in bad place
« on: September 22, 2004, 01:22:57 pm »
I just got stung today on my chin,  it doesn't hurt, but it is swollen pretty bad.  I now have a chin like Jay Leno , and 1/2 of my lower face is swollen.  I look like the elephant man.

Forwhat ever reason, stings on the face and head, tend to look worse,  any ideas as to why?
 :oops:
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: Stings in bad place
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 03:40:01 pm »
Quote from: leominsterbeeman
I just got stung today on my chin,  it doesn't hurt, but it is swollen pretty bad.  I now have a chin like Jay Leno , and 1/2 of my lower face is swollen.  I look like the elephant man.

Forwhat ever reason, stings on the face and head, tend to look worse,  any ideas as to why?
 :oops:

When I started bee keeping I awolled "quite normally". Now my resistance have raised and my face stand about 5 stings. If it goes over, It swells but not stay than 24 hours.

I am more sensitive for wasp stings tahn bees.

Which hurts most? When bee stings to stomach or at head skin.

"stings on the face and head, tend to look worse,  any ideas as to why?"

Form of face is very delicated thing.  Somethimes my arm has been like  that of Popeye the Sailor Man
http://www.alyon.org/generale/theatre/cinema/affiches_cinema/p/poo-pro/popeye_the_sailor_man.jpg

He had got some stings?

Anonymous

stings in bad place
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 01:02:34 pm »
I can't explain for you why face stings seem to be worse, but I can agree. I have been stung 7 times this year and the ONLY sting that got swollen was the one on the end of my nose. It was swollen for about 2 days. I have had stings on my hands, neck and forehead. None of these was even noticable after a day. My freind says the worst place to get stung is between the nose and upper lip.  Anyone have that experience?

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: stings in bad place
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 02:03:26 pm »
Quote from: Anonymous
I have had stings on my hands, neck and forehead.

My top is about 600 stings during 24 hours.

I catched 2 swarms. Firts was wild and grazy.

Another I catched in the cow stable. I  had placed there  trap hive. It was allready nigt and I now wonder, why I did not went home to sleep. I was all nigt in the stable and bees stung me whole night in the darknes.

I sweb all the time stings with knife from my skin.

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 10:30:55 pm »
Inside the mouth tickles a bit.  Tough to get the stinger out of your tongue.  Make sure there are no bees on that honey filled burr comb when you eat it.  Right under the finger nail is always fun too.  I find most places just itch a bit and then are gone.  But a few remind you that they really didn't want you in there in the first place.

Offline Umbriel971

• New Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 02:18:07 am »
I would expect that stings to the face and like swell more due to lack of fatty tissue and the bodies overactive histamine response to the cranial area.  Just my two cents...

Matt

Offline firetool

• House Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 02:09:46 am »
I got stung on the inside of the for arm this morning and it swoll for about 2 and a half inches in each diretion and is very sore to the touch. When I flex my wrist it hurts. I did get the stinger out very quikly with out squsing it.

Brian

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Stings in bad place
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 07:51:16 am »
You got stung just this morning!? What a bummer.

I hope the rest of the day gets better. If anything else happens though..... like scald your tounge with coffee, or get bacon grease in your eye..... well, I'd go back to bed. :)

Hope it doesn't turn out to be one of those days. LOL

Get well,
Beth

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 08:33:51 am »
Brian,

"One a day keeps the Doctor away" pertains to apples, not bee stings.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 10:08:39 am »
i was stung last summer on the neck right next to my throught.  it didn't hurt too bad but swelled up quite well.  it was just after i released the bees out of the vacum.  they were just a little pissy.  later

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005, 11:52:23 am »
I got stung once on the lip, by a wasp. Boy did that sting!!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Stings in bad place
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2005, 12:29:22 pm »
Well... I got stung on National Public Radio - lol. Which hurt a lot less then when I got stung on my stinger  :shock:  (hope the mods allow that one)  :oops:

There aren't too many place I haven't been stung, but stings are not stings - I'll take a hundred honeybee stings to one yellow-jacket sting any day of the week!!!!

Die Yellow-jackets Die!!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline beesharp

• House Bee
    • http://sharptelco.com
Stings in bad place
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 11:26:31 pm »
...and I thought I was the only one to get stung in a sensitive male area. :oops: It wasn't really that bad with the exception of Mrs Beesharp's amusement over my discomfort.

We moved bees a couple weeks ago and I must've got 30-40 stings for the first stings of the season. I didn't feel good most of the day, but the 10 or so I took on one ankle bothered me the most.

Jim

Offline latebee

• House Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 12:38:24 am »
When one of the little bees gets in under your viel,all you can do is cringe and hope for the best. Sometimes they won't sting sometimes they do,usually near my mouth or nose.  One thing I am very conscious of is wet clothing, you might as well have nothing on, they can sting right through the wet cloth. Beemaster says it best though, when he said he would take a hundred bees sting to one sting from a yellow jacket. I for one HATE yellow jackets even if they do have a purpose in life--death to all those nasty,mean,foul tempered,honey robbing,picnic spoiling,kid chasing so and so's that give our  gentle honey bee a bad rap. :x
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 07:19:23 am »
Just to make you all jealous, apparently I don't react to stings. I feel pain for a few seconds, but within half an hour, I can't even tell where it happened--even when I got stung on the lip.

Shrug. The variety of nature, huh? I hope this doesn't mean I'll develop a sensitivity just as fast...
Lesli

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 12:56:46 pm »
Lesli, this must be the evolution of the beekeeper!! :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline fredtioga

• New Bee
Three times stand out
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 07:40:32 pm »
When I was 16 I starddledled a hive body to move it.  The bees fell into my shoes.  I had to retreat, and use unlaced sneakers to finish, my feet were swollen.

Much later removing bees from under siding at my wife’s grandmothers, a bee got under my veil, stung me, but what really got me was it then pulled my eyebrows.

The sting I remember best happened when working a hive in the garden.
It was a good day.   My Wife was walking from an out building, along the road by the garden, with an un-hatched & abandoned robin's egg.   A bee made its way up my leg.  I dropped my pants.   Wife was silhouetted against the sky.  She wondered what was I doing.  The bee made a beeline to her forehead.   Stung, she crushed the egg.

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 08:34:34 pm »
Some of the best laughs I've had in a while. Beekeepers are tough!

My hands seem unaffected by stings but one by the eye did swell up for a day or so.
Judy

Offline bill

• House Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 01:12:42 am »
the most painful one I have had soo far is on the eyelid. but it didnt last but about an hour. when I have a viel on the are always hitting the screen like a bullet trying to hit my eyes but this time I just was stopping to adjust the cover and one hit my eyelid like a bullet none of the otheres we even concerned
billiet

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
Stings in bad place
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 04:40:26 pm »
Quote from: Lesli
Just to make you all jealous, apparently I don't react to stings. I feel pain for a few seconds, but within half an hour, I can't even tell where it happened--even when I got stung on the lip.

Shrug. The variety of nature, huh? I hope this doesn't mean I'll develop a sensitivity just as fast...

Lesli,

Im the same way I dont react to stings.  I have been told by the doc that at any time a person that has no reaction to stings They could become highly allerigc to them.  So I try to stay on the safe side :)

anything