Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Would it be possible to rent pasture or farmland and then plant bee pasture?  (Read 8095 times)

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Yep..  LAND is an investment that they just dont make more of..    I keep a few acres dedicated to forage and it does make a difference.  I have found Borage in this area seems to always have flowers somewhere...  Crimson clover, Sainfoin, and Buckwheat are my (the bees) favorites so far..
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
jim, what kind of clover seed are you paying that much for?  i planted 50 pounds of crimson this year and it cost me something like 60 dollars.  last year it was closer to 100.00 for crimson, though.  i planted some ball clover 2 years ago that cost something like 175.00 for 25 pounds but it has reseeded and increased coverage every year.  if it doesn't get rained out in 2016 i'm expecting a decent clover crop at my home yard.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
I just planted 100# of hubam, 100# of ladino, 50# of white dutch, 50# of alfalfa, 50# of crimsom, 100# yellow sweet, 100# chicory.  I have a few ounces of various colored anise hyssop I'll plant after I get a chance to mow the grass down really short.  That should add some color.  There is already chicory, birdsfoot trefoil, white and yellow sweet clover, echinacea, asters, ironweed, goldenrod, alfalfa.  Two years ago I planted 60 trees including peach, pear, apple, cherry, plum, basswood, beebee tree.  I already have a lot of black locust.  What I want to master is WHEN and how high to mow the grass to optimize the clover and the chicory and minimize the grass and the weeds (pigweed, dock, poison hemlock etc.).  Any suggestions?  Considering the cost of seed I've been considering buying a drill (I've been broadcasting it with a 3 point hitch rig).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
jim, what kind of clover seed are you paying that much for?  i planted 50 pounds of crimson this year and it cost me something like 60 dollars.  last year it was closer to 100.00 for crimson, though.  i planted some ball clover 2 years ago that cost something like 175.00 for 25 pounds but it has reseeded and increased coverage every year.  if it doesn't get rained out in 2016 i'm expecting a decent clover crop at my home yard.
It was white clover, I bought it last year. I have to spread it by hand. I tried to mix it with rye last year and use my 5' Brillion to spread it but very little grew, most grew in a small area like the clover seed dropped to the bottom. My soil is very acidic which may inhibit it
Jim.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
i mixed the ball clover with chicory.  my soil is pretty acidic too.  the ball clover has re-seeded really well every year so far but the chicory hasn't at all.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
okay, okay, yall talked me into it. My son and I put a binder down on the 5 acres across the street. Now all yall got to do is help me pay for it, since it's your fault  :grin:

This is part of an old cotton field. Lots of golden rod, field sage, and a few pine trees. A friend of mine told me to lime the sage to get rid of it. I'm not talking garden sage but what the old folks use to make yard/porch brooms out of. It'll sure ruin grazing land.

The property comes with a Covenant(sp?). Pretty limited covenant. No sub dividing, no multiple family dwellings, no business, no big dogs, ect. Pretty good.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything