Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So does Raw Honey cease to be Raw . . . .  (Read 6945 times)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
Re: So does Raw Honey cease to be Raw . . . .
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 09:13:17 am »
i use the uncapping knife, just rest it in some warm water in between cutting frames. i have seen the scratcher but surmise that i will lose some of the wax that i would normally get.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2007, 11:18:31 am »
In the old days we used 4 uncapping knives.  Painted or marked the handles with different colors or numbers.  Put a pan of boiling water on the stove and put in the uncapping knives with handles sticking over the side.  Grab a frame with 1 hand and knife #1 in the other and slice, turn frame, exchange knife #1 for knife #2 and slice again.  Next frame knives #3 & 4 were used and then back to #1.  When the standard extrator was only 4 frames the knives had plenty of time to get back up to temp between uncappings for the next set.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 12:50:33 pm »
I've been told that halogen lights produce a full spectrum light and they do produce a significant amount of heat (don't ask me how I know this).
If that is true, I'm wondering if you couldn't make your sun tea in the winter.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 11:11:56 pm »
In the old days we used 4 uncapping knives.  Painted or marked the handles with different colors or numbers.  Put a pan of boiling water on the stove and put in the uncapping knives with handles sticking over the side.  Grab a frame with 1 hand and knife #1 in the other and slice, turn frame, exchange knife #1 for knife #2 and slice again.  Next frame knives #3 & 4 were used and then back to #1.  When the standard extrator was only 4 frames the knives had plenty of time to get back up to temp between uncappings for the next set.

Brian that is exactly how I uncapped my honey last year.  Only I had 3 knives that I alternated, didn't have the 4th.

So.....what you you do in the "new" days  :roll: :) ;)  Electric knife?  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 09:50:53 pm »
So if the hony is  "raw" and you put it into the tea or what ever how does that change the "rawness." Your putting "pure" honey into a product and eating it or drinking it right away. To me its still raw unprocessed honey.