Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ok, I have a confession to make.UPDTED HOLD THE PHONE ITS RENOVATION RESCUE  (Read 7394 times)

Jorn Johanesson

Re: Ok, I have a confession to make.UPDTED HOLD THE PHONE ITS RENOVATION RESCUE
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 04:32:31 am »
Hello Mick!

everything takes time. Bees been born, Drones been Born. You will always find cappings on the botten, because the bees totaly remove this. Mostly they will carry it away from the hive. Drone cells are very easy to spot. migt look at some pictures from Finsky. And I doubt you will miss the sight of drones if there is some. Big and fat with very big eyes nearly touching each other. They are also making a deep brum brum when they flight.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 10:18:40 am »
Jorn, I love to look at the drones.  They are indeed so big, with those huge eyes, very neat looking for sure, and ya, they are rather noisy for sure.  It almost makes you want to duck sometimes.  Have an awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 10:40:45 am »
hello Cindi!

Drones are also very nice subject to practise grabbing on. Grab with left hands thumb and forefinger. Let the abdomen rest on the middle finger. Now you have the drone in place for marking. When you practised this and are confidently with the handling you can expand this to handling the queen for marking. Please no gloves when doing this your sensitive feeling will get lost.

Whops she slipped away :( just close the hive and she will return. If you want to mark a caged queen take her indoor and be sure windows are closed. Then she will end up there if she is escaping your handling and you can grab her again. It is a good idea to mark your queens, and then you are in no doubt if superseded. And the queen is much more easy to spot. Instead of looking for a bee you just look for a colour spot.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 10:48:53 am »
hello Cindi!

Drones are also very nice subject to practise grabbing on. Grab with left hands thumb and forefinger. Let the abdomen rest on the middle finger. Now you have the drone in place for marking. When you practised this and are confidently with the handling you can expand this to handling the queen for marking. Please no gloves when doing this your sensitive feeling will get lost.

Whops she slipped away :( just close the hive and she will return. If you want to mark a caged queen take her indoor and be sure windows are closed. Then she will end up there if she is escaping your handling and you can grab her again. It is a good idea to mark your queens, and then you are in no doubt if superseded. And the queen is much more easy to spot. Instead of looking for a bee you just look for a colour spot.

Jorn, that is intersting.  Thank you.  I had experience last summer of getting pretty good about catching bees, without harming them.  My sister had a very sore knee, she thought that she might be getting arthritis in it.  So we were doing some bee venom therapy.  By the end of the month or so (she finally did not want any more stings cause she could not stand the itchiness anymore), I was actually really good at catching them.  My biggest problem with so many times I only grabbed one wing and the bee flipped around and stung my fingers.  This happened quite a few times.  They can flip around so quickly, that before you know it they have their stinger everted and in your skin.  Oh well, I don't mind the stings and I am sure they do nothing but good for me.

I bet the drones would indeed be perfect specimens to practice further on, and I think that I will do that.  I think that marking the queen is an excellent idea.  When I get any queens henceforth, marking will be something that I will do, without question.  Good advice and I am grateful for it.  Thanks, have an awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 08:38:33 am »
I notice from the pictures that you appear to have 2 10 frame boxes atop an 8 frame box.  This makes for a top heavy setup that will easily tip over.  If you must use 2 different width boxes always put the smaller ones on top, much more stable and easier to manipulate the hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2006, 08:35:59 pm »
AHA Brian, that is tromp d`loi, a trick of the eye. There is black tape around the edges of the bottom box, making it look smaller. They are all 8 frame supers. 

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2006, 11:08:38 pm »
Mick,

Good on ya mate!!!

I am on of those new beekeepers that is not sorry or unwilling to try new things. I learn a lot on this forum from the seasoned pros but it kinda like scientific experimentation, you just have to know if it going to work or not. If it doesn't then you have learned something..if it doesn't then you have learned something. It is a win-win in my book.

Scott
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 12:21:33 am »
AH well the experiment is over. I caught them streaing back to the real hive the other day. Flew off in a stream the 20 yards or so to the other hive. The larvae are gone, I couldnt find them dead so I spose they developed.

The chewed cappings in the bottom of the super were from the frame of honey I put in there. Seems they ate it all and them went back home. The what turned out to be drone comb that I placed in there, is all empty.

So the end result is I have 2.5 drawn frames to store away for next spring.

The proper hive is thriving, bees flying in today like fully laden bombers, so much white pollen on them its amazing. The tree they are getting it from is a white Calistamon that grows next door. So no harm was done. It was interestng to see it all happening. (you can stop grinning now guys).

Next summer, geeze this one is only half way through, I will make a proper split.

anything