Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: a question for the masses here  (Read 4737 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
a question for the masses here
« on: August 04, 2009, 08:16:43 pm »
If you were in need of beekeeping supplies at a local place,what you you mostly bee looking for?
Naturally youd need boxes,bottom boards and such. But what is most common for box sizes,what type of foundation,etc..
Basically I want to help locals here who may have to drive 75 miles to pick up something.I know I've been in a pinch a couple tiimes over the weekend and wish I could call and see if I could get something rather than order online and wait till Tuesday or later.
Any thoughts from anyone thats been caught in that situation? What kind of things have you needed in a pinch?

Offline rast

• Field Bee
Re: a question for the masses here
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:30:40 pm »
 For me, it was wax foundation, crimp wired, med and deep.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:56:05 pm »
It hasn't happened to me yet but I could see people needing frames in all sizes when a flow is on. I use mediums and it seems alot of others do so that may be a popular size, especially for honey supers.
People always seem to talk about losing their hive tools.
Extra veils so that you can show someone your hives is something I wish I had sometimes, just haven't gone through the hassle of having to order one and don't want to drive that far to pick one up.
Gloves is the same type of thing.

Offline Rex

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:08:29 pm »
Depends on the time of year...a couple of months ago I had to run to the shop on X street for medium boxes and frames when the Spring flow started and I wasn't prepared.  I used plastic foundation this time and it took a bit longer for the bees to take to it than the wax I'd used before (or so it seemed). 

Recently, I had to buy a case of jars before I could do a weekend extraction.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:41:33 pm »
Minus foundation, I've needed just about every hive component in a pinch at one time or another.  Hackenberg's in Milton usually has stuff.  They are right down the road from me.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:59:23 pm »
I have to go 120 miles to get my things so you make sure that you don't run out of any thing.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:50:05 pm »
Drawn foundation :-D----- just kidding Buzz!!! I believe everyone under estimates the number of supers they will need when they start out or at least how early they will need at least two (what I would start out with per hive in my area).

Wow size boxes??? Pretty uniform here in my area. 10 frame deeps and shallows. And of course foundation and nails and frames to boot. Boxes not any good without them. And a few bottles of Bee Quick.
John 3:16

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:14:41 am »
An extra hive tool
Frame holder https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=194
Universal entrance closure (for moving hives)
Deeps
Mediums
Nucs
Extra frames/foundation
Hairclip queen catchers
Queen cages
Extra smoker

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 12:28:59 am »
Yes Nucs!!!
John 3:16

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 03:53:57 am »
Good Idea

I would carry all the essentials.  Mainly boxes and foundation.  I can usually anticipate what I need ahead of time and so I then call my supplier ahead of time in case they have to order it.  Usually they have what I need but sometimes they don't.  It is also nice to get some advise before you buy something.  I also always beat shipping costs this way.  I have bought all my boxes and frames painted and assembled though so I know they make a few bucks from me which is of course only fare.  Otherwise I would have to drive about 100 miles or 200 round trip, plus gas, and time, or order, pay shipping, hope there is no damage, and wait.

I would think you could make a good side income from it.  Soon people would want bees too!
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 04:59:27 am »
 For me, it is frames and foundation for mediums and deeps. We make the trip to the Dadant in Frankfort, Ky 3-4 times a year and I always run short at the end of the season because of swarms and cut outs that I do. It is a 2 hour drive to there for us and there never is enough room to haul everything back that we need. Time to get a bigger trailer. We have a local guy that sells just about anything that we need but he can't come close to the price that we get at Dadant's because of the bulk that we buy.
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 06:21:56 am »
Drawn foundation and 1 or 2 spare 8 frame medium supers Ken are generally the most urgent. Have mislaid the hive tool occasionally but have been able to make do with a screwdriver till the real thing reappears out of the ether. As Margaret would say probably getting around having a mans look.
How do you describe your universal entrance closure J.P.?  Mine could be a piece of timber held in place by strips of duct tape.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 08:28:35 am »
Geoff, : https://www.bbhoneyfarms.com/products.php?iid=292&cid=42

Can set it up in mere seconds!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 08:57:09 am »
We keep everything extra in stock for our own use. We buy though the mail,it's alot cheaper. You know just like bee keepers should look ahead and keep what will be needed in stock,the suppliers should also. If I was a supplier I would keep plenty of everything or what is mostly sold.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 09:55:11 am »
If you were in need of beekeeping supplies at a local place,what you you mostly bee looking for?
Naturally youd need boxes,bottom boards and such. But what is most common for box sizes,what type of foundation,etc..
Basically I want to help locals here who may have to drive 75 miles to pick up something.I know I've been in a pinch a couple tiimes over the weekend and wish I could call and see if I could get something rather than order online and wait till Tuesday or later.
Any thoughts from anyone thats been caught in that situation? What kind of things have you needed in a pinch?

In the past, it was the medium supers with new foundation that I needed real bad during a flow, but today that is not a problem.
I am assuming that you know of the Draper's up in Millerton, Pa who are a major supplier of anything beekeeping, they look like they're 90 minutes away from your area.  :-D

Offline alflyguy

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 10:08:36 am »
I've never bought bee stuff except over the internet or from catalogs. I try to keep everything I need handy but being a new bee keeper I sometimes buy the wrong thing or forget something important. It would be great to just have a place where I could go and look at stuff. I haven't had any real problems yet but if my bees were sick or infested with some pest I would hate to wait necessary to get medications etc.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 10:34:56 am »
Bless you Ken. May your journey down this road be worth it. May your desire to help NOT give you a heart attack. May you keep the remaining hair on your head..... :lau:

Let me tell you a story....a story in the not so distant past....a story that still makes my blood boil.....

I had a beekeeper call for a queen one Friday night. Asked if I could help him out with a queen. Said he would pick it up around 9 the next morning. I said ok, and told him very clearly to come to the home address and not the farm. Next morning, 9:00 comes and goes. I get a phone call from my mom that someone is at the farm and I speak to him. He apologizes and acknowledges his mistake. Said he would be on his way over to the house. This was at 9:30.  Keep in mind it was a 25 minute drive.
At noon, I tell my wife I've wasted enough time and I needed to get out to one of the yards. And as I'm loading up the truck, in the driveway comes this car. Out pops this young cocky guy. I was not happy, and this is usually something easily "read" on my face. I asked what took him so long, and he commented that he "popped over to York on the way to do some shopping". I took a moment to let him know that I had waited over two hours since his phone call and three hours all together on a Saturday morning, all to provide him a queen for a whooping 15 dollars. He hands me a 20, and smirks and says "Here, keep the change for your troubles" and walks back to the car with his queen. In my younger years, I would of popped him in the mouth.

I've thought about having a stocked store at the farm. Then I ask myself how much time am I going to waste for that hobbyist beekeeper who wants to meet me in the middle of the afternoon for a ten dollar inner cover with a profit of two dollars. And I just can't seem to see the benefit beyond the aggravation and hassle.

If you got nothing else to do, I say go for it. If you got better things to do, I say the heck with all that inconvenience and hassle. And I got better things to do... ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 12:53:34 pm »
Bless you Ken. May your journey down this road be worth it. May your desire to help NOT give you a heart attack. May you keep the remaining hair on your head..... :lau:

Let me tell you a story....a story in the not so distant past....a story that still makes my blood boil.....

I had a beekeeper call for a queen one Friday night. Asked if I could help him out with a queen. Said he would pick it up around 9 the next morning. I said ok, and told him very clearly to come to the home address and not the farm. Next morning, 9:00 comes and goes. I get a phone call from my mom that someone is at the farm and I speak to him. He apologizes and acknowledges his mistake. Said he would be on his way over to the house. This was at 9:30.  Keep in mind it was a 25 minute drive.
At noon, I tell my wife I've wasted enough time and I needed to get out to one of the yards. And as I'm loading up the truck, in the driveway comes this car. Out pops this young cocky guy. I was not happy, and this is usually something easily "read" on my face. I asked what took him so long, and he commented that he "popped over to York on the way to do some shopping". I took a moment to let him know that I had waited over two hours since his phone call and three hours all together on a Saturday morning, all to provide him a queen for a whooping 15 dollars. He hands me a 20, and smirks and says "Here, keep the change for your troubles" and walks back to the car with his queen. In my younger years, I would of popped him in the mouth.

I've thought about having a stocked store at the farm. Then I ask myself how much time am I going to waste for that hobbyist beekeeper who wants to meet me in the middle of the afternoon for a ten dollar inner cover with a profit of two dollars. And I just can't seem to see the benefit beyond the aggravation and hassle.

If you got nothing else to do, I say go for it. If you got better things to do, I say the heck with all that inconvenience and hassle. And I got better things to do... ;)

darn, the nerve of the guy, I would have told him the Queen was just SOLD and I'm all OUT  :evil:

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 01:27:27 pm »
Oh well,snobs everywhere.Here's my story. There's a local farm here that I wanted to pick up a package from,well the lady talked real snobby on the phone to start with. Well I payed on the net and picked up the package with no problem.They said the had queens threw Oct. if i need one. OK,well my queen died a month later and the color mark was from two yrs. before.They gave me an old queen with a package and so I called to buy a new one and i called for days and they would never answer their phone.
  So an other farm I called and they said they would have one on wed.They said they will leave it on the dock,just pick it up and leave a check,I said OK.Well,i went to pick it up and it wasn't on the dock ,so no one around i waited around for three hrs. and finally someone came. So,he didn't know where it was ,so he called and it was inside some where. Well,i got the queen and left and forgot to leave the check. Well even after all the bull I still sent them a check,i should not have.

So we have people every where who don't give a flip about anyone.Farm owners and keepers. End of story.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 01:47:00 pm »
Thumbscrews to replace the plastic ones on the bucket gates.  :roll:
Rick