Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: what to do?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline GTBee

• New Bee
what to do?
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:28:22 pm »
I checked my hives yesterday and found my strongest had starved to death.  I had been feeding syrup and had two medium supers of honey on it.  The bees ate all the feed syrup and most of the honey in the lowest super but didn't move up to the top super when it got cold.  My question is what does everybody do with the frames that have all the honey eaten in the center but generally have the top corners still filled?  I don't want to put on other hives for winter food because I'm afraid they will not move up and eat it like the previous one didn't.  Any suggestions?

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 05:58:39 pm »
They may have had brood in the lower chamber and there was an extended time of cold.  which means they would not abandon the brood to go up and eat. they needed every bee there to keep the cluster warm. anyway thats what i think. I like to take a hive tool and slit some of the capped honey on a frame that i want to be cleaned or cleared.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: what to do?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 07:23:15 am »
I give them to other hives to either burn up rearing brood or fill with nectar, depending on what happens next.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin