Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Process Help  (Read 4224 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Process Help
« on: October 25, 2007, 12:53:47 pm »
Someone here (forgive me, I forget who the kind soul is) can look at processes in a screenshot and tell me what I can kill.  I've got this Toshiba laptop that is driving me crazy.  This morning I turned it on and it took 15 minutes!!! to get Firefox running!  I am literally ready to throw it through the window - without opening it!  :-x  I'm including the screenshots below of the processes running from task manager - help??!?

I read reviews of this laptop and this is the main complaint - they've got so much running in the background it slows the machine down to a crawl.  I know I should put RAM into it, when I get a few pesos free I will, but I'm sure I can turn half this garbage off and it'll help immensely.  Thanx in advance!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Process Help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 03:12:05 pm »
Go to Start/Run/ type msconfig
Go to startup tab and uncheck all of the uneccasary stuff. Anthing that isn't virus, firewall, or task manager related can be unchecked. It does not mean the programs won't run. it means they will stop grabbing resources. This will also help. You will need to restart after making those changes and upon rebooting you will see a box pop up telling you have you have changed the msconfig. Check the box to tell it not to remind you everytime.

The PcScnSrv.exe is related to PC-cillian
http://antivirus.about.com/b/a/257760.htm
It has issues.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 08:33:34 pm »
I know about msconfig, and have already turned off what I know I can.  As for PCillin, I've used it for years and have had absolutely no problem with it, the same version is running on this Dell desktop with no issues at all.  I don't know if Spybot is running on the laptop, I'll have to check.  Toshiba is known to run all sorts of garbage in the background.  Thanx for the input, if you have any more thoughts, please do tell!  :)

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:13:54 pm »
Hey there. I'd download a program called CCleaner. It helps with a bunch of stuff you're looking to improve - and it's Free.

After opening it up, Analyze and Run Cleaner
Then on Issues, Scan for issues and Fix. You probably should make a backup. Save it anywhere you like.
Last, Click on Tools, and then the Startup button. I would make sure that the following are unchecked:

pinger.exe - this is a Toshiba tool that tells you if there are updates for your laptop. No need for that.
cli.exe - your ATI video card program, and not critical. No need for that running.
ddwmon.exe - Another Toshiba utility for writing disks. I'd disable, and see if it hurts anything.
jussched.exe - Disable for sure. Java Update manager, and you won't need that checking everyday.
cfsvcs.exe - Another Toshiba Utility. Can they add any more? Let's see :)
Ramasst.exe is running to disable Windows DVD burning utility. Probably because Toshiba wants you to use theirs. Disable it and see what happens. I bet it won't hurt.
RTHDCPL.exe - Realtek HD Audio Control Panel - you probably don't need this either.
smoothview.exe - Gives you the ability to zoom in common applications. If you don't need that, then disable it.
tappsrv.exe - Another Toshiba utility. Try disabling and see.
Toddsrv.exe - see above.

For some reason you have Doctor Watson and Dumprep running there, telling me that some program crashed on your computer, or you have an unstable driver, and your computer needs to be rebooted. This will slow down your computer ALOT.

Try that and let me know

Scott

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 10:17:57 pm »
Here's mine:

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 11:15:01 pm »
Hey there. I'd download a program called CCleaner. It helps with a bunch of stuff you're looking to improve - and it's Free.

snip

For some reason you have Doctor Watson and Dumprep running there, telling me that some program crashed on your computer, or you have an unstable driver, and your computer needs to be rebooted. This will slow down your computer ALOT.

Try that and let me know

Scott
Gee, you're quick!  :) I'll download that program tomorrow, thanx!  As for rebooting, it's shut down most of the time completely, so it can't be that.  An unstable driver, will that CCleaner show that?  I'll give you a full report over the weekend.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 12:08:48 am »
CCleaner won't show an unstable driver. So let's disble some startup items and then look at your process list again to make sure Dr. Watson and Dump Prep have both gone away.

Regards,

Scott

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 05:27:22 pm »
spybot is a great program, but i don't let it run on it's own.  it does slow things down.  it's nice for folks that aren't sure what they can do and not do.  under the tools section, you can go to startup and experiment with turning things on and off.  when you find junk, you can also delete it, but you will have a backup in case you make a mistake.  you can also set it to clean out all the MS crap that is stored on your computer.  as far as i am concerned, much of that is just spyware anyway.

make sure you clean your computer often.  dump cookies, temp files, etc.  all that stuff builds up and slows things down.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 10:47:49 pm »
how much ram do you have?
my son has a toshiba laptop and he hates it.

anything