Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: did i ever tell of when we got lost?  (Read 9135 times)

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
did i ever tell of when we got lost?
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:32:09 pm »
I just thought i would give people a reason to know how to read and understand maps before going on a hike...Buzzbee this message was mostly for you.
 O.k. so a couple of years ago we were spending the weekend at our friends cabin like most years when dad(buzzbee) gets the great idea of going on a hike. Doesn't sound so bad yet, does? Read on. It was supposed to be about an hour or two hike if that and only a mile or so. We follow the markers on the trees and then we got lost. What had happened, there was a split in the path so dad decides to take the one that  goes uphill like on the map. We then decide we are completely lost. So i make the suggestion of turning around and following the trail back the way we came,but, they decided not to do that which i thought would have made the most sense. so we keep walking and a few hours later we return right where we went in so instead of just turning around we made a full circle. Now keep in mind i was only 5 or 6 so dad carried me most of the way and it was sleeting. After returning we figured it out that we must have been gone for about 5 or more hours and went about 9 miles or so. So to make sure you don't have a hike like i did,next time you go on one make sure you know what route to follow and how to read a map.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: did i ever tell of when we got lost?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 07:23:58 pm »
reading a map is great.  knowing how to use a compass and plot a course is better.  owning a GPS is priceless!!  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 12:10:48 pm »
Josh, go get him!!!  LOL.  YOu were really lucky that you guys got out of the bush safely.  When I read little stories like that it makes my heart start to get really pumping.  I think that I actually get an out of body experience and picture myself right there in the story with ya.  It was a good story, I am grateful that things turned out the way that they did.  I bet your Dad was really tired after carrying his little boy for so long, he was probably terrified.  You have the best day, guy.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:20:07 pm »
owning a GPS is priceless!! 

yep, until the batteries die on you and you realize the solar charger is in the car  :-*
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 02:01:35 pm »
I can't help but share my LOST story:

http://www.beemaster.com/travel/canoe.html

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 06:11:30 pm »
yep, until the batteries die on you and you realize the solar charger is in the car 

among the things in my saddle bags....extra batteries.

of course, if my horse and i part ways.....i am twisted in to a board with a pointy instrument  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 07:24:28 pm »
of course, if my horse and i part ways.....i am twisted in to a board with a pointy instrument  :-)
:?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 07:30:53 pm »
I can't help but share my LOST story:

http://www.beemaster.com/travel/canoe.html

Oh my goodness, John, what a tale  :shock:  Lucky you found your way out!  We canoe quite a bit (well, we used to anyways, before life got so complicated) and have never had a problem like that.  Hopefully we never will!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 10:48:13 pm »
screwed

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 12:03:08 am »
Kathy!!!  Ha, you are a funny woman.  I was also wondering what you mean, "twisted into a board with a pointy instrument".  I thought and thought, what on earth you could possibly be talking about.  I was thinking about every thing that I would take if I were to ever venture out with my steed into the bush to do an overnight trek (you are so brave, girl, I would never ever have the guts to do that thing, good for you!!!!).  I couldn't come up with even one thing that might have twisted me into a board with a pointy instrument.  Anyways, it gave me a really good laugh when you said "screwed", what an imagination and a way with words.  Don't lose that, it is a gift.  Best of the great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 09:12:32 am »
As Daniel Boone has been quoted saying " I have never been lost, Just turned about for several weeks"

I always know where I am, I just might not know how to get where I am going.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 07:55:55 am by bluegrass »
Sugarbush Bees

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 10:06:39 am »
I always thought a compass was overkill... what if you lose it?  Besides the sun is usually shining or the stars are out, and if they aren't there are other signs, like moss on the tree or what grows on a south facing hill...

GPS's look way cool, but what about when the battery goes dead and you never learned to pay attention to where you were and where you're going?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 09:35:52 pm »
The best way to avoid being lost, is to never care where you are going.. 

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 09:21:38 pm »
Moss does not only grow on the North side of a tree. Moss will grow wherever there is an adequate amount of moisture and sunlight.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 10:36:06 am »
Cody, oh ya, I will agree, we have moss growing in places that one could never imagine.  Have the wonderful day, great life, great health.  Cindi

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 08:22:47 pm »
What do you do when MOSS grows on your GPS  :roll:

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 11:07:07 pm »
send it to me...  :-P
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

anything