Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TRIPLE HIVE REMOVAL FROM SAME BUILDING  (Read 3184 times)

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
TRIPLE HIVE REMOVAL FROM SAME BUILDING
« on: January 22, 2009, 06:43:13 pm »
I got a call from a friend yesterday asking if I would go look at three hives that are in an old abandoned store about twenty miles from here. They are in the process of tearing down the large building and found three seperate bee hives. He asked if I would be interested in taking them out of the walls, all at a height from waist high top approximately six to eight foot high. I know that this is a bad time for cut outs, but if I don't try to save them, they will spray them and kill them so they can finish the dismantelling of the building. They have the contract to tear the building down, and it has to be done within a certain time limit. They can't wait till spring when it would be warm. I will check the hives out tomorrow to see if it is worth the trouble to try to save them. Hate to see them killed,if I can't save them. (By the way, they have already taken the walls partly down, so I don't know if they are exposed to the cold weather. I may try to save some of them if possible.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: TRIPLE HIVE REMOVAL FROM SAME BUILDING
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:56:31 pm »
I would go for it. You are far enough south that spring is very near. You will need to feed them.  Do you have any drawn comb? You could do a combine and boost the population of other hives. We are starting to see lots of drones here in central Georgia in case you are unsuccessful obtaining the queen.

Just a few thoughts. Others with far more experience will have suggestions as well.

good luck, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 07:22:23 pm »
They will probably not survive this winter, although you might get a load of honey to feed the bees with. Unless you just want the experience I would say it wouldn't be worth the time. If you go ahead be sure to bring plenty of buckets, you'll be suprised how much honey they can store in those walls. :)

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:38:08 pm »
go for it, what have you got to loose. if you can get them through the next 2 months you'll be on a winner. Just keep feeding them as much as they want

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 08:40:58 pm »
I think they have an excellent chance for survival. Spring will come much earlier for him than most of us. He is down close to the Gulf coast.

My mentor is just a week or two away from doing some splits. The canola is blooming and the bees are building up rapidly. We are seeing lots of drones.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:53:31 pm »
Beeman, I bet they have a good chance of surviving as spring is right around the corner and our temps are in a warming trend now. If you would like to pm me with any questions I'm all ears.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 09:19:20 pm »
Thanks to all with your suggestions.  I kind of figured that it would be a large job for three seperate hives in the same building, but was going to try it. I waited Friday for a call from the person who wanted me to remove the hives, but he did not contact me. He was supposed to take me to the site where the bees are located. The weather turned cold, windy, and rainy on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe he will contact me this week and I can do the cutouts next weekend. If I get to do the cutouts I will update the progress and try to
take pictures, if I can figure out how to post them to the forum. Thanks again
to all who replyed. BEEMAN

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 04:46:22 pm »
Don't wait for him to call you call him. It would be a shame if they spray them. Do what you can you might get some outstanding feral survival genes from them.

Good luck

Keith

anything