Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I got an easy one and other lies  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
I got an easy one and other lies
« on: April 13, 2007, 01:30:42 am »
Well in the ongoing saga of cut outs I always believed that the cutting down of a hive on a tree branch would be a breeze.

Well maybe if I compare it to the 3 day adventure of doing a removal from crawling under a trailer it is. But a cut down is not a piece of cake. And the darn things are never low to the ground. I mean don't the bees realize if their hives were low to the ground that it would be easier to get to...............Oh wait...I guess they do realize that. But wait I have good intentions. I want to give them a good home. Didn't they get the memo. Probably not.

So I went with the standard tools and a branch cutter and a cordless sawzall. I love my cordless tools. They aren't perfect for every situation but they are excellent for some.

I also had to prepare my hive box in advance. Now one of the problems with hives in trees is branches. The branches get in the way. Now I am not a tree trimmer and I am sure the butchering I did will cause landscapers laughs for months to come. The othe thing is when trimming your branches please make sure that as the fall they do not hit the hive. Tree branch contact with the hive can mean mad bees. Also make sure your truck windows are not under the path of falling branches.

Now I was hoping that I would be able to put the 8 foot ladder in the back of the truck and climb up cut them down, put them in the box and go away. More experenced beekeepers are laughing right now.

Partial disclaimer anyone from OSHA or associated with OSHA is not allowed to continue to read or look at the pictures.

The bees were just high enough that my truck, my ladder, and me on the top rungs didn't quite make it. I could look up and see thousands of bees laughing at me. I'll show them.

Now somewhere between determination and imagination, the concept of reason and logic get left behind. I know it is not a good idea to put a ladder on top of the cab of my truck. I know that is not what it was designed for. Yet somehow that is where it ended up. I justify it by saying this. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Fortunatly I am Irish and lady luck still loves me and nothing happened. So stick that in pipe and smoke it OSHA. Not that I recommend anyone else do anything this ridiculous or stupid.

So here I am on top of my ladder on top of my cab with my sawzall, smoker, and branch cutters and some string.

Well why the string?  Maybe I can hang myself if the ladder slips and I can become the next darwin award winner.  No that wasn't what the string was for. The string was to tie to the branches so I could form a handle. That way when I finally cut the hive free it did not go crashing to the ground.

So after cutting away branches that formed a nice large pile. I had one branch left it was a big one. The bees seem to understand the concept of weight support. So with my left hand holding the string that has been tied around the remains of the branches sticking out of the hive. My right hand has a cordless sawzall with a 10" wood blade in it. Now the idea is to cut smoothly quickly and evenly. Well it's a good idea. Even on paper it sounds good. However as one cuts the main and final support weight shifts and hives move.

Now I have had my face in a hive before (compost bin cut out) but it is always disconcerting when you can count the hairs on a bees leg because it is on your veil. However the fortunate aspect is my face and my veil stopped the weight shifting of the hive and I was able to make the final cuts.

The string held and the bees really had stayed on the hive. I slowly climbed down. The hive fit right into the boxes. I sealed it up for the road trip. Cleaned up and headed home. this is the one time I am certain I got the queen without seeing her.

The bees have been home for a week now. The are doing well. Now I just need to get them to use frames and get off the tree branch.

You may laugh hysterically at my photos here.
http://www.brendhanhorne.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=79

Sincerely,
Brendhan

PS. There is also picture of a work that was hanging out on one of the branches. I put him back on the tree.

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: I got an easy one and other lies
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:28:56 am »
And I was just about to put you in "the People with Smarts" file.  :shock:

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 03:00:48 am »
Nice pics.  I think you need to invest in a taller ladder.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:16:21 am »
what can one say.... i envy your grandchildren :-D

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 08:20:23 am »
Irish Luck indeed! Geez, can't believe that ladder didn't slip the way it was perched on the cab of your truck with you up there swinging branches and bees and sawzall around. Thanks for your post, I always enjoy your stories.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 11:20:24 am »
you are nuts!  that ladder on the cab thing is a classic.  it will probably end up spread around the internet!  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 01:17:20 pm »
And he was worried that getting a pickup might make him a redneck....... AND IT DID  :-D :-D :-D
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline wouldee

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 02:42:31 pm »
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I think this is a great answer...if Bill Clinton had of used it he wouldnt have got into so much trouble..
Keep up the extreme beekeeping...
Cheers

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 08:12:23 pm »
it's very redneck!  :-)

when he's ready, i probably have and old bush/cheney sticker around here, or i might be able to find a "GO JEB!!" bumper sticker for florida! 

the NRA and Don't Tread On Me stickers are already in the mail to him  ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 09:20:56 pm »
My wife read the post and saw the pictures, she said I would have been a darwin award winner if I had fallen. She pictured it like this. Idiot goes after bees puts ladder on top of cab of truck falls off breaks several bones, then gets stung to death.

She is always so supportive and understanding. I am going to have to sell her on ebay.
wtiger
Yes, you are right. I shall have to do that.

wouldbee
Extreme beekeeping. I like that. Maybe we can get that as section on the forums.

Jerrymac
I am not there yet. The only thing I like about country music is the look of Shania Twain. However that Carrie Underwood might have some hope. I wouldn't let her near my truck though. Not after what she did to the one in that video.

kathyp
If it ends up all over the internet and makes people laugh even if they laugh because it's stupid I can live with that. Bringing a little laughter to people is not to bad a thing.

Now about those bumper stickers. I will trade you for a few those tree hugger bumper stickers.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 10:25:47 pm »
Jerrymac
I am not there yet. The only thing I like about country music is the look of Shania Twain. However that Carrie Underwood might have some hope. I wouldn't let her near my truck though. Not after what she did to the one in that video.

Yeah. OK  :roll: I figure I am a bit over 50% Redneck and I have no idea what Shania Twain or Carrie Underwood looks like. Not real fond of country music (what they call country these days) and what did she do to a pickup anyways. Not a redneck he says  ;)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 01:12:43 am »
Jerrymac

Yeah. OK  :roll: I figure I am a bit over 50% Redneck and I have no idea what Shania Twain or Carrie Underwood looks like. Not real fond of country music (what they call country these days) and what did she do to a pickup anyways. Not a redneck he says  ;)

Shania Twain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogugnws5qDc
Carrie Underwood
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56vLzS5i5w

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 01:35:48 am »
I can't stand to listen to Shania Twain. Don't know why. Perhaps that is why I didn't know what she looks like.

Did you notice that song from Carrie Underwood cuts down Shania? It says,

"...right now, she's probably up singing some
white-trash version of Shania karoke..."

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 01:42:13 am »
I wasn't really paying much attention to the lyrics.  ;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline BeeLady

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 04:22:39 pm »
Geeze - where were these pictures when I needed 'em?  When the ladder in the back of my pickup bed didn't reach it never occurred to me to stand it on the cab.  Instead I had to use the front loader on my tractor at full height with the ladder in the bucket.

As a safety precaution we, too, used a string to tie the top of the ladder to the tree branch.  Can't be too careful!

Hope your hive produces!
Lauren, aka BeeLady
San Antonio, Texas
Bees in Lindenau, Texas

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 04:45:49 pm »
You successfully mixed fear of heights, bee stings, powertools, and a whole host of other things . . . all without getting yourself hurt!  the Apiary Fairy was smiling down on you!  I love the shots showing the ladder on the truck.  You're my kind of guy!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 06:09:58 pm by LET-CA »

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 04:46:54 pm »
  Can't be too careful!

:-D :roll: :fishhit:
ahahahahahah

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2007, 08:32:43 pm »
Carrie Underwood is one of those women that you just sit, watch and slowly drool all over your beer bottle..

Ops, did I just say that out loud??   :-X