Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen cages  (Read 4488 times)

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
queen cages
« on: February 24, 2009, 02:50:25 pm »
Does anyone know where I can find push in maybe 2X2?  queen cages?   hate to buy a whole bunch of hardware cloth and bend and form......someway to trap emerging queens raised on foundations?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: queen cages
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 03:47:50 pm »
Can't help you with the wire cages, but can warn you not to use the plastic push in cages.   They don't penetrate into the wax far enough and the bees tunnel right under them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 04:15:43 pm »
Not sure you reasoning for caging each queen in such a manner. But if you have time for such a technique for each queen, why just not move them into nucs or other prepared hives? You need a "colony unit" of some sort for each queen. So why not just make up the units and forego the whole push in cage thing?
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:51:16 pm »
I make mine as large as I can get on the comb.  Easier to get emerging brood, empty cells and honey so they are all set for the queen to get a good start.  I'd make your own from hardware cloth.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:44:10 am »
Not sure you reasoning for caging each queen in such a manner. But if you have time for such a technique for each queen, why just not move them into nucs or other prepared hives? You need a "colony unit" of some sort for each queen. So why not just make up the units and forego the whole push in cage thing?

Well my plan was/is to rear queens on regular brood cell useing the MDA/ case method.  I don't think I can safely remove the queen cell from teh foundation without damaging it.   Actually I have never tried,  but it seems to me doing that without damaging the developing queen is about impossible.  So my plan was to cage each one independaly a day or two befor they are supposed to hatch and them move them when the actually do.

Charlie

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:58:31 pm »
if the foundation is wax and not plastic you will be able to cut them out easily-take a look at this maybe you can adapt your strategy- http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5661519733479148923   8-) RDY-B

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 10:02:45 am »
well at the moment all my foundation is plastic....  therin is the issue.   I am trying to get some wax,  but the likelyhood of drawn wax in preperation for spring laying is pretty slim this year.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 11:02:09 pm »
if you can get one frame with wax foundation and put in the middle of the brood nest in the spring it will take no time and you will probably have eggs in it before the cells are drawn all the way out, don't give up you have plenty of time.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 09:46:11 am »
if the foundation is wax and not plastic you will be able to cut them out easily-take a look at this maybe you can adapt your strategy- http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5661519733479148923   8-) RDY-B
Thanks for teh link,  excellent content,   unfortunatly the video/ audio quality is very poor.....  there were several  videos that seemed interesting,  but you can't read the screen  and my hearing is bad enough I can't seperate the voices from the background noise

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 03:12:11 am »
here is some stuf to read of the same material-check out the hopkins method -very easy to harvest cells this way- :lol: 8-) RDY-B  http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearing.htm 

anything