Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Using a grain bag as an inner cover  (Read 2547 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Using a grain bag as an inner cover
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:21:55 pm »
For some of you who use grain bags as inner covers, do you cut a hole in the center for ventilation and for the bees to exit for an optional upper escape?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Using a grain bag as an inner cover
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 08:25:19 pm »
No need for a hole.  They breath a little and that's the point.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline chemlight

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:42:30 am »
Would someone mind explaining the use of a grain bag for an inner cover? What type of bag? Burlap or paper? I have a lot of chicken feed bags but they are paper. Do you just cut them to size? Want they eat the paper?

I don't use inner covers due to cost, but making one out of a grain bag seems like a great idea!

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 01:16:03 pm »
Would someone mind explaining the use of a grain bag for an inner cover? What type of bag? Burlap or paper? I have a lot of chicken feed bags but they are paper. Do you just cut them to size? Want they eat the paper?

I don't use inner covers due to cost, but making one out of a grain bag seems like a great idea!

I'm not sure but I would assume burlap. Paper would just fall apart after wicking up all the moisture in the hive.

Offline steveb

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:27:36 pm »
I would assume that the grain bag type in question is one of the white woven plastic-like cloth grain bags.  I get tons of them when buying grain or custom mixes from the grain mill .
Now Nutrina bags are also now made of the same type of material but with a glossy printed outer coating and are even more durable but stiffer.
Either should be better than paper or burlap.

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:29 pm »
So, with a regular inner cover, the oval hole is for ventilation, and with the grain bag, since they are a breathable material, no hole is needed?
I wonder if you could make one with something like Tyvek?

Offline abeeco

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 10:38:08 pm »
tyvek may work but it flaps around a lot if there is any wind