Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Storage of dead/empty hive  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Leah

• Brood
Storage of dead/empty hive
« on: June 01, 2006, 06:57:19 pm »
My beehive was slow to start this year.  I requeened a few weeks ago, but this didn't seem to help.  Today I went to check the hive and found
1) No bees
2) large Ants - mostly on inner cover where sugar syrup had spilled, but some on the frames.

I would like to seal off and store the empty hive.  Next year I'll start again from a package or nuc.

Is there anything I can use to get rid of the ants?

Also, is it ok to treat the combs with PDB?  Instructions for PDB say not for use on combs containing honey, but does that just mean honey for human comsumption?  These combs have honey, but they are for hive body usage.

Thanks,
Leah

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:19:25 pm »
>My beehive was slow to start this year. I requeened a few weeks ago, but this didn't seem to help. Today I went to check the hive and found
1) No bees
2) large Ants - mostly on inner cover where sugar syrup had spilled, but some on the frames.

Sounds like the ants drove them out.  Probably drawn by the sugar syrup.

>Is there anything I can use to get rid of the ants?

Do a search on ants.  There have been hundreds of discussions.

>Also, is it ok to treat the combs with PDB? Instructions for PDB say not for use on combs containing honey, but does that just mean honey for human comsumption?

PDB will kill bees.  If it gets into the honey the honey will kill bees.  I wouldn't (and never do) use it at all, but if you do use it, follow the directions.  They are not just the law, they are a good idea.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 10:51:26 pm »
Dead Ant Solution (Not be be confused with Dadant)

Place hive in the center of a smaller commercial grade cookie sheet (approx 18 by 24), fill sheet with 1/8 inch vegatable oil.  Ants drown while trying to swim across to raid hive, yet you still have room to work it.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Leah

• Brood
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 07:42:07 pm »
Thank you Michael & Brian for the info.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 12:11:58 pm »
Libraly sprinkle cinemon on the frames, combs, boxes...EVERYWHERE.  The ants can't stand it an run away while, the bees show no reaction at all.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 02:51:19 pm »
Cinnamon does not always work.  The oil moat does.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything