Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Funny Noise  (Read 1809 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Funny Noise
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:03:33 pm »
I was putting some more frames in my boxes tonight after dark. (daylight ran out). I went over by the hive and I heard what sounded like they were in the top portion chewing or scratching on the wood.

It seems like I remember reading something that may suggest they are making wax. The 8f medium on top is hardly drawn out and that's where the sound came from. I was in there yesterday.

I was looking for the q cell I saw about a week or so ago but it was gone. There was some additional build up around the bottom of the frames where a lot of drone cells were. I only looked at about 5 frames in the top 8f deep. I did see lots of pollen and a whole frame with capped brood. What really concerned me was on a clump of drone cells I saw what could have been a capped queen cell. It was more narrow than fat and stuck out at a 45 degree angle. I called an older gentleman down the road and he said not to worry about it. He said it's not time and if it was the other queen would kill it. (I'm thinking about the flip side of the coin as well).

I have almost zero hands on but I had the same thought about the timing. I don't consider us in a flow yet. We have hen bit, dandelions, and some other pollen I can't identify but no other blooms. I have been feeding tho.

Do yall think it was comb building I heard? Thanks.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
Re: Funny Noise
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:31:36 am »
when I lived in Texas years ago

thought we had rats I the ones as big as house cats

the noise kept me up all night didn't find OR see one

we set rat traps the next day

bait was done in the morning

so we set mouse traps again the bait was gone at daybreak.

trap was sprung!

3 days same results. got smart used peanutbutter.

again trap sprung no bait

well sir I then put three mouse traps back to back.

we got em that time and worked thereafter

Field mouse no bigger than a Florida roach

maybe 2 inches

jay

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:52:24 am »
GSF
The bees were probably chewing on the wood trying to make a new opening. Was it loudest near the crack between the boxes.
My bees have opened up new enterances in my reducer boards.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 08:34:47 am »
I have heard this to the extent it almost sounds like grease frying inside.Usually near the top. It may be working propolis.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 09:53:48 am »
I have heard this to the extent it almost sounds like grease frying inside.Usually near the top. It may be working propolis.

:)  Same here……."Snap, Crackle, Pop" noises from hives 'usually' indicates comb building or other such construction.  Very cool…. 8-)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:32:35 pm »
I knew it wasn't a rat because of the distinct sound. I figured it was wax building. It could be a new entrance under construction because there's a ton of bees in there, and more on the way. Thanks for the tidbits.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:20:52 am »
thought it was a cool story
 I haven't heard this before.
mice do get inside hives yes?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:44:07 am »
I have heard this noise before also. I believe it to be the sound of their mandabils working wax. IMHO
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 11:55:30 pm »
thought it was a cool story
 I haven't heard this before.
mice do get inside hives yes?

Yes but only when it is cold enlighten to keep the bees clustered. If it warms up and the mouse is still in the hive, the bees will sting the intruder to death.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin