Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you do a complete hive check after mite meds are off?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Do you do a complete hive check after mite meds are off?
« on: September 27, 2008, 04:47:57 pm »
If you treat for varroa in the fall do you do a complete(every frame) hive check after removing your med of choice?  I pulled a frame or two from some and just hefted some others to see if light or heavy.  Some were so "nicely" propolized that I did not really feel like getting too deep.  I did do an in depth hive check just b/4 mite meds and all looked good.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Do you do a complete hive check after mite meds are off?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 12:18:14 am »
I very rarely do a complete frame by frame inspection. If I know that things are going along well, I just check out a few frames in each super and when I find the important things, I just stop.

If I find capped brood, uncapped brood, honey and pollen, then I just stop inspecting.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Do you do a complete hive check after mite meds are off?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:55:40 am »
If the queen is still laying(time of year), I like to insure she is ok. I look for eggs. If the queen stopped laying because its late in season, there is really nothing to look for.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".