Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A chilly day down south!  (Read 8807 times)

Moots

Re: A chilly day down south!
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 11:48:25 am »
Moots...you would look good in a hat like that..probably be the envy of the neighborhood..lol

hey rj,
I'm thinking I could pull off the look...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It does look WARM!  :)

Schools and most businesses were closed yesterday and today...I'm not sure we're going to reach high enough temps long enough today for the roads to deice, looking like the region might go for the hat trick and keep things shutdown through tomorrow....We'll see! 

As I said, this isn't the norm for us and the area just isn't equipped to deal with it.  Hope my southern bees in their hive are dealing with it better than the general public!  :laugh:

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 12:18:09 pm »
Yea with the liability I don't look for schools to open tomorrow, already on a delay. It ain't the snow it's the black ice.
John 3:16

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 12:31:29 pm »
i just walked my hunting dog and the roads are still iced here.  i talked to a neighbor out in butler last night and it hadn't done that much out that way at about 9 last night.  i'd like to go out there today but i'm not about to drive 60 miles one way in this.  hope everybody stays warm.

Offline Variable

• House Bee
    • Two Little Ladies Apiary Hive Data
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 03:55:10 pm »
I feel for you all on the East coast. It is a balmy 54F with heavy rain here today. Has been cold in the mornings at just below freezing with fog most of last week but has been in the mid to upper 40s throughout the day. Hope everyone stays safe and their bees stay warm enough in their cluster.

Maybe we should talk again about heating hives in the winter.......   ;) That is always a lively conversation  :evil: ..... lol.

I was just kidding about having a conversation on heating hives... lets keep it civil.
I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
8 medium hives. 5 Langstroth, 3 Nuc
See hive data at
http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/cms/node/6
https://www.facebook.com/twolittleladiesapiary

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 05:49:34 pm »
I feel for you all on the East coast. It is a balmy 54F with heavy rain here today. Has been cold in the mornings at just below freezing with fog most of last week but has been in the mid to upper 40s throughout the day. Hope everyone stays safe and their bees stay warm enough in their cluster.

Maybe we should talk again about heating hives in the winter.......   ;) That is always a lively conversation  :evil: ..... lol.

I was just kidding about having a conversation on heating hives... lets keep it civil.

forecast calls for a high of 70 here next tuesday.

Offline Variable

• House Bee
    • Two Little Ladies Apiary Hive Data
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 05:56:25 pm »
10framer,
Now you are making me jealous. We have snow forecast for next Tuesday...  It is about time, we only had snow for a day or two back in late November or early December and it melted quick. Kids did not even get to build a snowman.

I am a little worried about the weather in Georgia... that is where I am planning on getting my package from this Spring and I may not get them as early as I was hopping because of this cold weather.... Hope the bee build up fast for me!!!
I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
8 medium hives. 5 Langstroth, 3 Nuc
See hive data at
http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/cms/node/6
https://www.facebook.com/twolittleladiesapiary

Moots

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 06:24:55 pm »
Yesterday, High of 40°, Low of 25°
Today, High of 35°, Low of 23°..........Forecast for this Saturday, High of 71°, Low of 62°... GO FIGURE!  :-D

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 06:41:05 pm »
Moots, yesterday our high was 31, low was 17.   Today high 30  low tonite 10 to 15   tomorrow high of mid to upper 40's    low in upper 20's         Saturday  high mid 60's  low upper 50's with 50% chance of rain.

My steps, yard and road have from 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches of ice on them now. 
Several roads are closed in Jones and Forrest county and surrounding area.  Saw a truck go by today with chains, didn't know anyone down here had any.

Joe

Offline Clem

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 07:31:35 pm »
Drove half way to work this morning at 6:30 before they called it off. I've lived and driven in Ohio so I'm comfortable on snow and ice but most of the others I saw were crawling along at 15-20 mph, including law enforcement.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 10:09:36 pm »
variable, i wouldn't worry just yet.  as long as we don't have a cold march followed by a stormy april like last year i expect the packages will get out fine.  it's getting the queens mated that messes things up down here.  my bees were bringing in pollen last week so i expect the queens are going to be kicking into gear pretty fast.  remember it's still january.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 07:08:23 am »
10framer; I was watching "The Farm Report" or "The Ag Report" on RFDTV. The Weather man on there said we had at least three good cold snaps coming in February but not the prolonged version.

I could be an excellent weather man.

"What's the chance of rain today?"

50/50.

50/50?

Yep, maybe it will, maybe it won't. ;)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 09:54:14 am »
Here's some pictures of the mess created by the snow storm that was supposed to hit way south of there (Birmingham, Alabama). Everybody went to work at different times, and then everybody went home at the same time. Some of the other stuff I read said that some folks walked 10 miles to get home. There were so many wrecks that folks just left their vehicles there after hours of waiting.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2014/01/rescuers_along_us_highway_280.html
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 11:01:07 am »
gary, i've changed my definition of a cold snap this winter.  lows in the upper 20's and highs around 40 don't make the cut anymore.  if i can find some i'll be putting tomato plants in the ground by march 15.  i'm sure we'll have several more hard frosts but i'm hoping this is the last big one for us down here.  that being said the biggest ice storms i remember have all been in march and what we just had was a joke compared to them.  i hope this cold has at least thinned out the gnats and rattlesnakes in middle georgia.  i'm going to roll the dice on the roads being ok in an hour or so and go check things out at the farm.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 11:50:08 am »
You may have to go ahead and plant some seed, inside, to have plants to plant in March. 

Joe

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 12:12:24 pm »
joe, you're probably right. 

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 08:03:45 pm »
here in Gray,Ga. We ended up with 2 3/4 inch snow over 1/8 inch ice. had a call out at 6 am yesterday morning with a fire truck stuck. they stopped at a light on a slight uphill and could not move. had to back it down about 100 yards to get a running start. when driving in that morning passed a state trooper that was going 10 mph and sliding off to the right. I was at 45 dead center of the road ( drive the crown when you cant see the lines old school driving lesson from overseas. ) He quickly got behind me and when we got to town I stoped at a gas station that stayed open all night to get a cup of coffee before going to the fire truck. (they were not going anywhere). he was shocked that I didn't have chains and was not sliding around.

John

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 12:52:55 pm »
What's ice?
think I know thats what goes in my southern iced tea
jay

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 12:17:31 pm »
 :-D
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin