Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Thinking of getting Bees in Michigan  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Anny

• New Bee
Thinking of getting Bees in Michigan
« on: December 03, 2008, 02:36:42 pm »
Hello everyone, my name is Anny I live in south east Michigan. I'm thinking about getting some bees this spring but I have alot of learn. I'm trying to decide what type of hive I want among many other things. I hope I don't ask to many questions  :-D

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Thinking of getting Bees in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:57:34 pm »
welcome aboard fellow northerner.  Good luck with the decisions

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 08:00:11 pm »
Where do you live in Michigan Anny?

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:53:23 pm »
Hello and Welcome Anny
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:36:07 pm »
Anny, welcome to our forum.  You have found the best place to spend time, learn, ask as many questions as your heart desires, you will have answers.  Stick around, you will have many stories, tales and experiences to tell us about in the future, we love to listen.  Have a great and most wonderful day, life, and greatest of health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:47:13 am »
Hello and Welcome!

This forum is a great place to learn about bees & beekeeping. The tutorials on the main Beemaster page ("Backyard Beekeeping Course") were where I began several years ago. There are a couple of things you can do to "enhance" your learning here: First, add your location to your profile. Then, whenever you post, we'll be reminded where you are and will be able to better answer your questions. Second, get familiar with the 'search' function. Very often when I have a question, I find that it has already been discussed and I can get an immediate answer. Sometimes you just don't want to wait a few hours for an answer!

Also, I highly recommend gettting involved with a local beekeeping club. Southeast Michigan has a number of active clubs. Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes, and are great places to find mentors and get connected with other nearby beekeepers who can help you. Here are a couple links:
http://www.sembabees.org/
http://www.michiganbees.org/whoswho.htm

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 09:11:42 am »
HI, Annie!  you could't pick a better site to join up. There is tons of information on this site. Plus lots of friendly folks to help ya out. I am in western michigan. So welcome another Michigander. LOL were tearing up the place!.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 11:09:02 am »
Welcome Anny!  Ask away, there are so many helpful people here, friendly too! You will get questions answered before you even ask. Use the search function, the information is overwhelming!  There are many different answers to the same questions depending on where people are, what methods they choose to use & personality.  The more you know the more you will be hooked on bees! J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline hollybees

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 10:18:26 am »
Welcome Anny,
Hello to a fellow Michigander  :-D
This is my 1st year and I started two hives, I say "just do it" you'll love it.
Read whatever you can get your hands on, do some searches on this forum you'll see all kinds of book recommendations.

The people in this forum have been my only mentors, they are knowledgable and friendly with a great sense of humor.
It is well run by the "Beemaster" which is so important in any forum.

Good luck to you,
Paul

Offline Windy Ridge Apiary

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 12:43:14 am »
Hello Anny,
What questions do you have? More than glad to help.

Doug
Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Proverbs 16:23-25