Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Cuckoo Maran eggs and Royal Palm Turkey tom  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
My Cuckoo Maran eggs and Royal Palm Turkey tom
« on: February 05, 2008, 03:23:59 am »
Ok here is pictures of my Tom and Cuckoo Maran eggs

Angi

Angi

oh and had to toss in my huge tomato I got last year.

this heirloom tomato is called Olena Warscova Ukrainian not spelled correctly lol.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: My Cuckoo Maran eggs and Royal Palm Turkey tom
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 09:53:47 am »
Angi, oh man was I excited when I saw the heading of the post, and then I couldn't wait to see the pictures.  What a beautiful tom you have, that is one gorgeous, gorgeous looking dude.  I think that the Royal Palms are so pretty, they take my breath away.  I remember you saying that they are lookers and are they ever.  And get a load of those beautiful eggs!!!!  Wow!!!

And a tomato that is 2-1/4 pounds, unheard of!!!!!  That is what happens with the heirlooms.  I have a company that I get some heirloom seeds from, Salt Spring Island seeds.  I wonder if they have that cultivar that you grow.  I am going to check out their cultivars and I will make a post of the list.  Hey, never mind, I will do it right now.  I love tomataoes that are home grown.

Last year I grew my tomatoes under cover in that huge new greenhouse my Husband built for me.  Things were going great guns until the middle of August.  We had an unusually strange, cool, moist summer.  We had 5 days of rainy weather, and wouldn't you know it.  The last season blight started on the south side of the greenhouse, and spread through the rest in about 2 days.  I picked all the tomatoes immediately, as soon as I saw the first blackening of the leaves.  I managed to save about 80% of the tomatoes, but still, lost all the plants and many tomatoes that hadn't become mature enough to pick.  What a waste.  Now the issue with the blight is the spores can be harboured over in the soil.  So, that house is pretty much doomed.  BUT.....I am going to try anyways to grow more tomatoes, but I will open up the rows.  I had 6 or 7 rows, this year I am going to knock it down to 2 rows so there is tons of ventiliation.  That is key here with the blights.  I am still going to attempt growing them in there, I am an experimenter.  I had removed the damaged plants as soon as I saw the blight, so maybe the spores did not have a chance to mature (is that what they do, I don't know).  Maybe things will be OK.

This is what seed for tomato Salt Spring Island Seed offers:  They are in groups:

Type collection:Gardener's Delight, Old Ivory Egg, Clear Pink, Black Plum, Millionaire
Cherry collection: Chiapis Wild, New Jersey, Lollipop, Snow White, Purple Smudge
Brandywine collection:Cherry, black, purple, pink select, Joyce's
Disease Resistant Collection: Santa Cruz Cada, Wild cherry, Stupice, Nigeria, Cheesemanii
Canadian collection: Manitoba, Salt Spring Sunrise, Pollock, Canabec Rose, Montreal Tasty
Russian Collection: Galina, Siberian Pink, Silvery Fir, Russian Rose, Cosmonaut Volkov (beefstake)

Doesn't look like they offer the Ukranian one you grow.  Very nice pictures, again.  Thanks for bringin' 'em on.  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 03:23:34 am »
Now that I have your addy yes the bee stuff got here today. Thought there was more but. I will have to send you some heirloom tomato seeds. The other great one is Watermelon beefsteak, Pink brandywine, Yellow brandywine, Italian beefsteak heirloom that one I got several 3lbers. Kelloggs breakfast a orange tomato, Striped stuffer, I need to mail you some seeds.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:37:39 am »
Angi, you will be shocked when you see how little propolis there really is when you begin to gather your own from hive scrapings.  It is amazing really.  The blob of propolis that I sent you was three supers of scraping off the propolis off of the frames.  I know it doesn't look like very much at all, (and it isn't), but some bees gather huge amounts of propolis and others are not great propolis gatherers. 

For example, the Carniolans are well known for their clean homes, not being all gummed up with propolis and the wax is much cleaner too.  Now the Italians on the other hand love to gather propolis and glue up everything.  It is amazing when you have two breeds of bees to compare to, they follow true to their breeds, without a doubt. Those Italians had so much propolis sticking everything together that you could see it when you lifted frames apart, it would literally pull apart in strings.  I try to take off an excess when I am working the colonies so it is not so stuck up the next time.  They love to make this sticky stuff, no doubt.

Don't worry, when you get your bees, you will have propolis coming out of your ears, you will have lots to work with.  Enjoy it, I am glad that it got to safe and sound.  I would truly appreciate your sending me some seeds, that would be a gracious offer, thank you in advance.  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:18:10 pm »
Angi,
What a beautiful tom, Wow. I have got to get some eggs from you. I have the bator all cleaned out. Just need some warm weather and off and running again. Your eggs look great as well. Sitting here with about 10' of snow all around wondering if summer will ever come again.
Thanks for the pics, they are great!!
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 08:16:55 pm »
What a handsome devil he is!  Looks like he knows it too!  That's one big tomato!  Don't grow much of my own anymore, I get my produce from a small organic CSA down the road.  She is reasonable & I don't blow out my shoulders or knees! + I get more variety than I could grow in my smallish space.  I strongly believe in supporting local real people businesses & saving the land from being a strip mall!  So you are going to have baby turkeys??  Have a great evening!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:39:08 pm »
Tomatos like that could start the Giant Tomato craze like they do with Pumpkins.  Definitely one for the local fair.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 02:09:27 am »
What gorgeous birds and eggs, tomatoes too!

Wowie, inspires me to have gallinacious birds again!

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 02:51:18 am »
I will have hatching eggs for sale from the turkeys as soon as they show evidencs of fertalization still a little early here.  I do have Cornish, Cuckoo Maran chicken hatching eggs available. And Indian runner duck hatching eggs and coturnix quail hatching eggs. I have my own CSA and it is fun and a great way of supporting us local farmers. Small ones especially. I am working with another farm for stuff as well.

Angi