Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finaly got my bees also  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Finaly got my bees also
« on: May 15, 2007, 10:09:19 pm »
So my bees finally came. I went and picked them up and put them in their hives. So I am up to 5 hives if these 4 hang in there. I as a little disappointed about the queen cage it was a little difficult to put in the hive as there was not strap attached to it. It was nice how they had it in the package box you could just knock the bees down and pull the cage right out but then I had to figure out a way to get it stuck in between the frames. Some of the frames that had some honey in them were sticky so I just stuck it between them and it seemed pretty secure. The hive I was setting up using only new foundation was different I ended up stapling it in. Half the staple on a frame and the other half on the queen cage.

So I am pretty happy anyway they seemed to take to there new homes pretty good. I used the set the package in the hive after taking out the feeding can. I opened a hive after the package had been in it for 15 minutes and they were flowing out of it to the frames.

Click to enlarge!

Click to enlarge!
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline tom

• House Bee
Re: Finaly got my bees also
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 12:43:04 am »
Hey

Nice bees and packages where did they come from i am still waiting on three packages of bees from long creek apiaries. They say they were running about a week to ten days behind due to cold weather i was they will hurry up i want to try these bees.

Tom

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 12:52:43 am »
Hey Greg, try attaching some dental floss to the queen cage next time, hang it outside the hive between the top cover and the hive body. It will stay in place. Looks like the bees are very healthy.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 07:40:29 am »
Tom - I think they came from Wilbanks Apiaries. My local bee guy goes down and gets a truck load each year. They were supposed to get a load early April but they got pushed back to now. I will find out for sure and let you know.

JP - Sounds like a good idea. About anything would have worked to hang her in there but the problem was that I brought a stapler anticipating a strap on the cage. It was getting late so I had to just make due with what I had there at the moment. I will defiantly take more supplies out next time.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees