Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is Wi-Fi a health hazard??  (Read 7577 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Is Wi-Fi a health hazard??
« on: April 14, 2008, 02:45:25 pm »
We just installed wireless internet in our home this weekend. I just love it, but I remembered hearing about possible health hazards.

Anyone have any info available on the health risks of wireless in the home.

Appreciate this
Annette

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
Re: Is Wi-Fi a health hazard??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 05:16:48 pm »
Unless your going to sleep with the antenna under your pillow, I wouldn't worry about it.
At most its only a few hundred milliwatts, and given the short wavelength, the power is nothing.

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:23:29 pm »
Wifi is perfectly safe.  It uses radio transmissions just like radio towers, cell phones, etc...  It's just on a different wave length.

Many people share this concern since we've heard of radiation etc...

I'm not going to say that there is no concern, just I think there are bigger areas to be concerned about when it comes to health then wifi.  I've had wifi in my house for a few years, haven't noticed anything yet.

If you like reading I have some articles that came up on a quick google search.  Wifi is still too young to know if there are any long term affects, though I doubt it has any.
http://tech.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_1307811.php/Wi-Fi_health_concerns_increase
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid7_gci937770,00.html
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/3653711
calebgo.com - My website

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 07:40:54 pm »
I truly appreciate the response to this and it really makes me feel so much better. Funny how I just thought about it after I got the installation done.

Well, I will be happy surfing on my sofa, on my deck, even in my yard if I want.

Annette

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:57:14 pm »
Just make sure you set a password and encryption on the router.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 11:03:57 pm »
Yes that was done.

Thanks
Annette

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 12:50:43 am »
Annette, I couldn't live without my laptop, it opens up doors to the entire world, from all over my place, inside, down by the pool sitting under my beautiful shade tree, the Beechtree.  I love it almost as much as my Husband, hee, hee.  You are gonna beyond love the doors that it will open up for you too!!!!  Beautiful and great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 01:57:36 pm »
your wifi is safe, but watch out for that microwave oven!   :evil:

you'll enjoy your wireless.  it is nice to be able to use your computer wherever you want to.

i always look for an excuse to post this site. 

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 04:34:10 pm »
Very funny Kathyp. I had read that so far it appears that people having symptoms are all pyschosomatic (sp?) so I do not worry about this. I am only interested in  scientific results.

Have a great day
Annette

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 04:51:25 pm »
Very funny Kathyp. I had read that so far it appears that people having symptoms are all pyschosomatic (sp?) so I do not worry about this. I am only interested in  scientific results.

Here is an FCC FAQ on the subject: Clicky

I wouldn't read it, its a dry read  :)

The only hazard Wifi presents, is gaining weight from sitting on the couch surfing the web.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 05:02:12 pm »
 :-D :-D

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 08:43:10 pm »

Have a great day
Annette

Wi-fi is hasn't gotten nearly as much attention from researchers as cell phones. Wifi and cell phones use different frequencies, different powers and distances, so information on cell phone risk may not tell us much about wifi.  But we don't know much about wi-fi.  It would be prudent to locate your wi-fi transmitter away from your bed or turn it off when not in use, although your clock-radio or reading lamp might be giving you a larger exposure.

The data on cell phones is somewhat murky, but over time, I think there is a growing evidence of some risk from using cell phones, mostly in heavy users. Recent studies found that using a cell phone in the evening can delay/disrupt sleep, and that increased exposure to cell phone energy increases the risk of headaches in people prone to headaches And in people who did not consider themselves prone to headaches. As the headache study was double-blinded and cross-over, it eliminated psychosomatic reactions or placebo effect in the analysis.  Acoustic neuroma is a relatively rare type of cancer that seems to be more common in people that have used cell phones for more than ten years. But again, that is cell phones. 

FWIW, I have both wi-fi at home and a cell phone. I'm not phobic about it, but am open to the idea that there might some potential risk.  I'm about to go fill up my car, and (aside from the risk of price shock) I know that gasoline vapors contain carcinogenic compounds. I doubt that I will be at much risk, though people who work in refineries might be.