Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello form the German in San Jose CA  (Read 2673 times)

Offline stefancarpentier

• Brood
  • Take yourself not too serious, smile ==> good.
    • My last few years in pictures
Hello form the German in San Jose CA
« on: January 09, 2008, 05:31:48 pm »
Hi there
I learned about this group/forum from a colleague who woulnd me up well about Bee keeping and the whole honey production.
Now I am fired up and want to make only the necessary mistakes with my 1st hive, not a whole lot more.
1st question I have is how I should go best about getting bees and a queen come March.
Local bees are a good idea, I heard great stories about Australian Queens. Do I get a swarm and buy a queen, do I buy both, from the same place, where do I buy from and when, what is a good/fair price???
All those questions float in my head. I now missed last Monday's meeting in Cambell CA, went skiing instead in 10ft snow.

CIAO

Stefan
It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
 - James Thurber

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Hello form the German in San Jose CA
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 06:20:54 pm »
Welcome aboard.
I am sure there are some local members who can help you with a supplier. When you buy bees you buy a package with a queen. Packages are usually sold by weight plus the queen.

I am not a fan of the Aussie queens and bees. 

If you catch a wild swarm it would most likely have a queen. The trick is catching one.
Also making sure they are mean bees.

Update your profile to include your location it will help us answer your questions.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline stefancarpentier

• Brood
  • Take yourself not too serious, smile ==> good.
    • My last few years in pictures
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:39:58 pm »
I am not sure I want the "mean" bees..... do I?
I updated my profile.
What is it that you don't like about the Aussie ones. Not that I have an opinion, just want to find out more data about a lot of stuff.
Thanks for getting me started.

CIAO

Stefan
It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
 - James Thurber

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:59:27 pm »
You are in Cal. An area considered to have AHB(Africanized Honeybees) the neighbors tend to not like those.

The aussie bees were sent over to deal with the shortage of bees for almond pollination.
They have never dealt with Varroa or SHB(small hive beetles). So you have a bee that really isn't up to snuff for living in the US.

The aussie bees are great in Australia.

I am going to recommend since you are starting. Please read.
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:32:51 pm »
Hey Stefan, welcome to beemaster. Brendhan meant to say you don't want mean bees. Don't know about your specific area but there are a lot of africanized bees in Cali., so catching a swarm could give you mean bees, which you don't want. May be best to buy from a local breeder, that way you know what you're getting. Just make sure its from a reliable source.

Best of luck, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 01:56:49 am »
Stephan,

There has been some research to suggest that some viruses were imported with the Aussie bees in 2002.  I just went to the conference for the American Beekeepers in Sacramento California today and they wer talking about CCD and that the virus Isreal something somethin virus might be part of the problem so I would stay away from Aussie bees.

Welcome and there are some great bee club as I understand it in your area which can help you get started.  Bees are so fastinating.  I am still in my first year and I am frequently amazed.  This forum has been a great help with problem that arise.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 10:52:14 am »
Stefan.  Welcome to our forum, you have received the bee fever, the addiction, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

This is a wonderful place to get answers to questions, you have already seen this.  Ask all the questions that you can, we all learn by asking questions and the responses help out everyone involved with the bees.

Mistakes.   Hmmm.....there will be lots, that is part of a learning curve.  I can't count the mistakes that I have made in my few years of beekeeping, and they have all been the best learning curves.  Successes are the best thing too, but man, do we learn by mistakes, hee, hee.  Welcome, enjoy beekeeping and all the friends you will make on our great forum.  Have a great, best, wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service