Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What got you started as a teen beekeeper???  (Read 7196 times)

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
What got you started as a teen beekeeper???
« on: January 28, 2005, 07:31:07 pm »
We all know that teen beekeepers are pretty rare, so if you kept/keep bees as a teen, what got you started??

My dad got me into it when we didn't have enough land for any livestock. I had just been to a 4-H meeting where everyone else had a horse, or cows and my dad suggested that I just get bees.
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 07:35:02 pm »
Most people on here know my grandpa got me into bee keeping
Ryan Horn

Offline buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 07:36:24 pm »
Sorry, while trying to add the posts from the other thread about this into this thread, they got deleated.
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 09:04:17 pm »
John mentioned he made a backup just a few days ago. How much trouble for him to get them back?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 09:12:49 pm »
Well, unfortunantly it was 2 posts from today, so I dont think he would have a backup. My bad... :oops:
Scott
----------
----------

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 09:23:46 pm »
The backup file is a single file (about 21megs in size) not a compilation of posts that I can GRAB older posts from - it is NOT like a file cabinette where you can pull stuff from, more like one big locked box.

I save 2 versions of the backup - backup 1 on dates ending in odd numbers, backup 2 on dates ending with even numbers - if I were to reinstall and older version, it automatically wipes out all newer posts and if I reinstall the latest version, it over-writes the older file, losing previous data that was saved.

Both options are actually ugly - in that, installing the oldest will erase all newer members and posts and previous layouts - installing the newest can often lose posts that were present in the older backup.

So, I once something is deleted, and it says "you sure" that's it, it is gone. The only way to save every blunder (however they happen) is to have a hundred backups, which isn't feasable.

Hope that helps. I hate seeing stuff get lost too, but it's the nature of the beast. Hopefully, we'll see less problems with the version update now in place. I'm still running around fixing the logos in all the forums - there are a bunch of them.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 09:38:03 pm »
Well, I was trying to split some of the posts from the old topic into a new one that I had made, and ended up with 2 threads with the same name. I wanted to have a topic question at the top, but couldn't add it or get the posts back into the origanal thread, so I got rid of them. Luckily it was only 2 posts though. Sorry :oops:
Scott
----------
----------

Violacea

Re: What got you started as a teen beekeeper???
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 10:10:29 pm »
Quote from: buzz
We all know that teen beekeepers are pretty rare, so if you kept/keep bees as a teen, what got you started??

My mom  :roll:  She is a die hard eat healthy person.  Sure she eats junk food occasionally, but she really strives hard to eat healthy.  One thing she does, she most never uses sugar, always honey.  But it is expensive.  So one fine day a couple years ago, out of the blue, she looks at me, her elbow-deep-into-any-kind-of-animal/garden/bug-life daughter and says, "Could we keep bees, and then have our own honey?"   I looked at her with a face of dread, and answered with a definite "No!"  There was NOOOO way "I" was ever going to bee elbow deep into something with a singer.  Little did I know.  Anyways, time past, and although my mom didn't bring up the subject again, I knew it was something she would really be happy with, so, even thought it was impossible for it to ever happen, :roll: I began looking into it.  My real fear is of wasps, and so when I found out how small honeybees are I immediately opened up to the idea.  From then on, it just sucked me in.  :shock:

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 05:12:24 pm »
I got started in bees in a rather bizzar way.  About a year and a half ago I was 12 and became completely obsesed with bummble bees(which at the time I thought were honeybees LOL).  After a few weeks (6 weeks) all I could talk about was bees and I finaly got a hive.  It did reasonably well for it's first year and then I noticed some rather deformed bees at the enterence.  I opened it up and did a Dowda sugar shake to see if it was varroa mites and sure enough it was.  My hive was heavily infested and despite medications and feeding it died in winter 2004.  After I opened it up to salvage the comb I found that it was infested with SHB. :cry: I'm thinking of getting started next year with russians or carniolans because they have shown some resistence to Varroa mites unlike the italians I was keeping.  All in all my first year was a disaster but I still marval every time I see a honeybee on a flower.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 06:48:49 pm »
Lol, my friends are sick of hearing about bees, that is all I talk about, lo, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 04:27:59 pm »
I just picked a book up at the library cuz i thought it would be neat to do. And so i taught my self everything from a book! lol
Bee Boy

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 02:20:02 pm »
heh. (New here by the way) anyways, I have to say this is the weirdest way anyone has started bees. So me and my dad are watching TV when i was oh 13 i would say. Martha Stewart comes and and starts talking about bees and all about them! So i ask my dad about bees and he says his cousin has a bee farm about 30 miles away. So we drive on over one day and she gives me 3 old supers and some gloves and a veil. Since then my dad has basically taught me everything i ever needed to know and I still have those supers today!(However in not-so-good condition  :oops: ) I also added around 30-40 boxes since then  :D

Shizzell

P.S. Thanks Martha for the Bee Idea! lol

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2005, 05:05:52 pm »
I started with bees when I was about 9 or 10.  I was strectched out on top of a pile of culled hive bodys at my uncles farm, shooting varmints.  A swarm suddenly moved into one of the empty boxes.  I fooled with them all summer, learned a bit from my uncle, and got stung often enough to build up some resistance.  When my hard labor sentence was over, I was sent back home.  A week later my uncle called about a swarm  which my parents hauled me the 30 miles to get.  Eventually got up to 25 colonys, and sold enough honey to buy my first car.  A 1937 Ford Deluxe that needed some attention.  I don't have the car anymore, but I got some beeeeeez!!

Offline beeman5

• Brood
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 04:10:10 pm »
I am a new member also just found the site.  I started about 3 years ago when I was 15.  I also got started when I saw a show about beekeeping on TV.  I was also looking for an FFA project so I thought bees would be a good idea and I started getting books and taught myself how to get started.  My moms cousin was a beekeeper so he gave me an old hive he had to get me started.  been at it ever since.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 05:51:48 pm »
Beeman-5:

Welcome aboard, I know I haven't said that to you yet!!!! I hope the forums are everything you expect from a database of nearly 1000 International  members, all with different levels of experience and combined possibly THOUSANDS of years of knowledge!!!

Welcome and thanks for finding us - we ALWAYS have room for YOUNGER (and older) Beekeepers here - the younger ones HELP to make us older ones FEEL younger because many of us started in our teens ( I was 14-15 ) and still remember my first peek into a hive body :)

John AKA Beemaster

PS.... Coming in JUST A MONTH we have our 24 months anniversary and the beginning of YEAR THREE - a date I'm hoping we see 1000 members and 20 thousand posts (WOW, that is still a goal I'll be very proud to be a part of, but it is the membership (those here now, those who have come and gone and those who are bound to find us eventually) who will continue to keep us at the top of the search engines and the BEST DOG-GONE BEE FORUM we can be :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 11:01:38 am »
Wow, I was gone for a little while and now we have more teens!! Maybe now we can get some more "real" conversations going in the teen forum!
Scott
----------
----------